Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

To those with girls around 7.......

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 43 Replies

Is this a transition age? She just turned 7 in Dec. and all of a sudden she is saying that Disney Princesses are for babies, she doesnt want a Barbie bike anymore (she wanted a monster high), and just always saying people will think she is a baby if she does certain things. And she has always let me pick her clothes out but I have started letting her do it and some things she doesnt want to wear because it looke like baby clothes. Just wondering if this is a transition age or something.......

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allsolittle
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Idk. My oldest will be 8 in April. She still likes barbie and stuff, as well as Jessie and all that crap. Last night she informed me she wants her own space so she wants to move to the basement. She slept down there in the guest bed. ( her and her 5 year old sis share a room)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Kind of. My 7 yr old also decided she didn't want her Disney Princess sleeping bag, so I freecycled it. And she wants me to freecycle her barbies too. She never plays with them. She is really into Furby, origami, learning to make balloon animals, reading chapter books like Ivy and Bean etc. Also crafts just as feather accessories for her hair.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

DD has always wanted to dress herself which i let her.  She still likes barbies and her princess bike.  Shoot my girl wont let me pass down clothess she has outgrown at this time.  She has mostly "big girl"" clothes and no characters on them except hello kitty or angry birds.  She will be 7 in march.

snowmommy0406
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yes, my dd had a tinkerbell themed bedroom and at about 7 1/2 was driving me crazy telling me it was a baby room and she hoped her friends never saw it.  For her 8th birthday I re did the room in peace signs which she loves (she is 8 1/2 now) but that is just one of many examples.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It depends on the kid and the things that influence them.

DD is homeschooled and doesn't have anyone telling her what to like/dislike. She has older and younger friends. Her older 11-12yo friend still plays barbies with her. there isn't any stigma of "too babyish" as most of htekids play with kids a variety of ages. There seems to be more innocence.

Jalestra
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, mine did it at 7, too. And of course if I said something too many times or a certain way it became..."gah mom! I'm not a baby!" LOL She also wanted a later bedtime...my kids go to bed at 8 and read or play quietly for an hour as a calm down period, their actual sleeptime is 9 (as in I expect you to be laying quietly trying to sleep). She started insisting that as she was no longer a "baby" it was high time for her to go to bed at a more "big girl" hour. LOL I tried it and it didn't affect her getting up, so sure. 

Her taste in clothes began to change, too. She's not become a clothes horse, but the frilly things and girly outfits are gone now and we've replaced them with skirts and jeans.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Oh, yes we went through that at that age! She donated all her barbie stuff to goodwill and all this other stuff. However, that was a year ago...now she is starting to regret that and asked for barbies for Christmas. She still won't do princesses cuz that is still too baby for her. She did get a few barbies for Christmas and has been really enjoying them :)

icn_mom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

To me it sounds like social acceptance. She is concerned that people will call her a "baby", then there must be some converstaions between other girls her age that she is overhearing.. I would just go with it :)

AshletD
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM
My DD turned seven in October...she still likes Barbies and such and so do her friends, but she has also started getting more into clothes and wanting to pick them out herself, she wanted her ears pierced, and she likes music more now and girly stuff like jewelry and painting her nails.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:42 AM

my oldest will also be 8 in April, and she doesn't like barbies and babies anymore, she is more into art, making jewelry, drawing, coloring, and doing her own hair and makeup. I still get away with picking her clothes for school, and she is still very close and comfortable with me and her father, she has to sleep with someone for comfort.

Quoting allsolittle:

Idk. My oldest will be 8 in April. She still likes barbie and stuff, as well as Jessie and all that crap. Last night she informed me she wants her own space so she wants to move to the basement. She slept down there in the guest bed. ( her and her 5 year old sis share a room)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)