Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

sight words-help

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 11 Replies
My 6 yr old is in kindergarten and I feel is behind on sight words. Ill sit down with him and read some of the little books. He gets frustrated when he either doesn't reconize many of the words or I ask him to read two stories (the books are only a few pages and very few words "the rat is in my hat" for example.

Does anyone have tips to make learning the words fun? I have flash cards too but hes not a big fan of those either
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM

label EVERYTHING in the house.  put stickies that say wall, frame, stove, refridgerator, stove, pot, light switch everything

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Are you using picture books?  If you are have him explain what he sees in picture and then show him the words that coordinate.  Our libray had a dvd by Rock n Learn for sight words and DD loved that to help cement how they sound, what they look like in movement (sat, ran, give, etc).   Have you talked to his teacher about what she/he perceives in this area of learning?

NikkiDoll
by Nicole on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
The flash cards have helped my son a lot. Doing those and just practicing everyday has been good for him.
keljo05
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this
I made a game of it... i bought a new flyswatter...sit on the floor with ds and the cards in between us.

Then we play sight word splat, lol. Either i say the word and he swats the card..or i make him tell me the word and swat ut as well. Its made it a lot more fun, lol
butterflycircle
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Just keep it up. My duaghter is now in 2nd grade and is a little behind with her reading. We have struggled with reading every year. She doesn't like it. She doesn't like it b/c she doesn't know the words. When she reads an easier book she starts to like reading more b/c she knows it. 

Have him read to you 15 mins each night. Even if it is an easier book. Repetitive practice helps wonders (gives them more confidence and helps them rememebr the words better). 

You could do like "Sight word basketball" make it a game. You do a flash card and he reads it, if he reads it right he throws the ball into a basket and gets a point. Let him go against you. If the words are harder word (one that he struggles with more) have him closer to the basket or worth more points. If they are easier words have him back a little or only worth 1 point. 

You could also play candy land (or draw your own little game board out, use dice to move and use any little things as your "person" like pennies or erasers). Each turn he reads a word and then takes his turn. You do the same on your turn too. 

saraface5383
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Great idea!

Quoting keljo05:

I made a game of it... i bought a new flyswatter...sit on the floor with ds and the cards in between us.

Then we play sight word splat, lol. Either i say the word and he swats the card..or i make him tell me the word and swat ut as well. Its made it a lot more fun, lol
Clei420
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I got my son easy reader books that had themes he was interested in like Thomas, Diego, etc. Also the beginners Dr Suess books are great. I started off reading them to him then when we came across sight words I would let him read it.
MommieCotter42
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My daughter is all about playing games so I do is I make bingo cards with her sight words and when I say the word she finds it and puts mini marshmallows over it. When we have the card full she has to take off the marshmallow and read the word if she gets it right she get to eat the marshmallow and if its wrong I get to eat it. She loves that game. Another one I make a chart with the sight words on top and when I read a book to her she has to listen to the word and when she hears it she makes a tally mark and then we count them at the end. This is not a game but I hang here weekly words on the wall and at random I will point to a word and she has to read it.

I am always looking for new was to learn because flash cards are no fun. Hope this helps

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

We have done a variation of the flyswatter game  where we put the flashcards in a pattern around the child - sometimes just in rows in front, sometimes in a circle around, or maybe a square or X...whatever - change it up and make it fun. Then I call off the word and they jump onto that card.

As they get better we set a timer - start with 15 seconds, or 10..whatever you think is "reasonable". If they beat the timer, they get the card. If they don't I get it. Whoever wins in the end gets something. If Ds wins he gets an extra 10 min of video games, if I win he helps cook dinner, etc.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Have him go through books, magazines, and/or newspapers and hi-lite his site words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)