Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 year old with ATTITUDE.

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello, My name is Nicole and I am a mother of an 8 year old boy ( Deven) and an almost 2 year old girl (Jolene). My son is in 2nd grade and he is in the STEM program. He does well in school and for the most part is pretty well behaved. He has his moments, and is is very emotional will cry at just about everything but he has always been this way. I am thinking that he is just going through a phase with his mouthy mouth though. it seems that in the last few weeks when I ask him to get his chores done I get.... Ugg I know MOOOMMMM.. or some other smart butt remark. This drives me crazy! Anyone have any advise on how to curb ths bad habbit.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

What are the consequences for making bad choices at home?  I would give him one warning "do not speak to me in that tone" or you will get a consequence.  I have a 6 yr old dd who likes to try to push boundaries.  She just went 3 days w/o using computer due to talking back.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

welcome

PinkParadox
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My 7 year old girl is just like this. She'll be mouthy one minute and crying the next. She's always been my more emotional one, but the attitude is just within the last year. I don't have any great advice though...it's a work in progress.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of that describes my 8 yo son.  He is also in 2nd grade - turned 8 in October.  We actually got a note home last week about his attitude in school.  He's also very sensitive in that he will cry and make a big deal out of nothing.  His teacher told me one time last week they were practicing their spelling words.  He was writing in crayon and wrote one letter wrong.  Since it was crayon he couldn't erase it and change it.  He lost it.  He started crying like it was the end of the world.  He's always been this way as well.

I think in part the attitude thing is part of the age.  Adam never had attitude until the last year or so.  The sensitive thing, yes, but not the mouthy attitude.  However, we can't let age be an excuse for them to get away with it.  Adam lost Minecraft (a video game) privileges for one week because of the attitude at school.  We had a long talk about what he did wrong and what the correct behavior is supposed to be.  If we get another note home we will have to escalate it.  However, I think we got through to him.  For now anyway.

The important thing is that your son needs to face some sort of consequences for his attitude.  You're his mom so you know what will work best for him.  It's also important to have that conversation with him and not only let him know what he did wrong but make sure to let him know what the correct response/behavior would be in the particular situation.  As parents, we can say "that's wrong" all we want but if we don't show them what is "right" then we won't get any results.

Beyond that I will say "good luck".  Hopefully constant correction and continued maturity will help the problem for both our boys.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I firmly believe in this:

You get to ________when ___________ is done. 

CarolinaGirl88
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd just sit and talk to him, tell him you don't appreciate when he gets an attitude and ask why he does it. Maybe he feels like you have an attitude with him when you ask him to do those things, so he gets one back. A lot of times we don't realize how we sound to other people, and even if you don't think your tone is bad or that you have an attitude when asking him those things he may perceive it differently. By talking to him you can try to both figure out a better way for both of you to communicate with each other. My mom and I used to do the same thing to each other, but neither one of us really knew that we were coming off as having an attitude. When we didn't talk about it things only got worse with both of us being annoyed at each other, but when we actually sat and talked about it we were able to work it out.

TwinMomma122304
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like we have the same child!  I have 8 year old twins, a boy & a girl - my boy is the mouthy one, yet super sensitive.  His teacher told us yesterday he started crying in class because he had done an assignment incorrectly.  When we tried to talk to him about it, he started sobbing hysterically again.  He can be the absolute sweetest child in the world, but he can do a complete 180 at the drop of a hat.  I am at my wit's end with him some days.  We've tried taking things away for the mouthy, disrespectful behavior.  We've tried a reward system for GOOD behavior.  I think it's just the age and some kids are more emotional than others.  I am actually going to ask his doctor at their well-child visit next week to see if he has any insight. 

I know this isn't advice :(  But at least now you know you're not alone!!  :)

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Hon, its puberty and the fact that he's just a sensitive little man.  Does he get enough sleep (9-10 hrs a night)?  When my daughter doesn't get enough rest, she is that way too.

nicmotivatedmom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I first want to thank you al for sharing with me and helping me talk through this. I for sure have noticed that when he doesnt get enough sleep that he is extra "sensitive" I sometimes think that he likes the negitive attention beucase he ALWAYS wants any attention he can get. He has always been that way. We have tried to take things away for " bad decisions" I always try to make sure that he knows that its not him thats "bad" but the decisions that he makes is. I have tried rewarding good behavior with extra tv or computer time, or some me and him time.. anything that he would like. He just doesnt ever seem to care one way or the other. He is only allowed 2 hrs of screen time a day after his chores and homework is done. He can either play on the computer, watch tv, or play some games. Be he never seems to be able to have that time lol Hes always in trouble. I think I am also going to talk to his Dr and ask them to give him an ADD ADHD test. His teacher says he just cant sit still and that hes always just trying to fly through all of his work. Now with that being said I DO NOT believe in medicating a child but I would like to know if there is a reason for this behavior. I dont know that the attitude is much more then the age thing but I surly know its got to STOP!  I like the fact that he has emotion and is sensitive, but I do also wish that he didnt cry about almost everything. We do talk about it and I try to use a lot of "I" statements like I tell him how his actions make me feel and I try to get him to talk to me. Sometimes he resistant but sometimes hes talks and I think sometimes that he just makes stuff up. lol.

nicmotivatedmom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Also I am so glad to know that I am not the only one that has this issue. It makes me feel so much better!!! THANK YOU ALL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)