Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Who Has an Only Child?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 73 Replies

Did you plan on having an only child, or did it just happen that way?

Do you regret having only one? 

What are the pros and cons to the child?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
keljo05
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I do, we were going to start trying for our second when dh had his severe brain injury leaving severely incapacitated and dependant on care 24/7. I'm 42 so not likely to have time to have another. I may look into foster care in a few years...but most likely will stay ds and i. Just how it worked out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish I just had one. Anyone want a stubborn teenage girl? Or an annoying almost 11 year old boy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM
We planned it that way. Pros, now that he's older he is more independent and it's much easier to go places, do things, see people.

Cons, he has no playmates. It is up to Dh and I to be the entertainment. He can play by himself but he would rather be with us and seeing what we do and why we do it and how it's done and why why why.
MrsApple
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM

We have one daughter.We had originally planned to have just one,because of my high risk pregnancies and losses but when she turned two I realized that I wanted more and then we decided to start trying when she was 4.She's 6 now and still no siblings.

The pros are that it's easier to do things,she's so independant now,we feel like we can give her our complete attention.

Cons...she doesn't have a "built in" playmate but she has so many friends that live nearby that it's easy to go pick one of them up for a playdate or a sleepover.She's at the age where she realizes that most of her friends have siblings or that most families have more than just one child and I'm noticing that it makes her sad at times.

thebailiffs
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM
We have an only child who is a 6 year old boy. Yes, we had planned on only one Pros- There is only one to help There is only one to pay for Everything is a first and only ( first time they walk, read, achieve something) We can "barrow" another kid for him to play with them send them back home No bickering and fighting We can trade off and one of us gets a break or time to ourselves Con- We are the one he wants to play with all of the time He does not learn to share with other kids, except at school and after school care He does not have a sibling relationship Everyone tells us, "poor little boy without a brother or sister" We love our one and only and have no desire to have another. I have three full time jobs (house, work and child/husband) and very enough time for each let alone us. I could not even imagine another.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'm sorry about your misfortune. I have a son, too. He just turned 6 this week.

Quoting keljo05:

I do, we were going to start trying for our second when dh had his severe brain injury leaving severely incapacitated and dependant on care 24/7. I'm 42 so not likely to have time to have another. I may look into foster care in a few years...but most likely will stay ds and i. Just how it worked out.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

:-)  Mine asks all the Why Why Why's, too!  :-)   I think he's a lot smarter for it, though.

Quoting poshkat:

We planned it that way. Pros, now that he's older he is more independent and it's much easier to go places, do things, see people.

Cons, he has no playmates. It is up to Dh and I to be the entertainment. He can play by himself but he would rather be with us and seeing what we do and why we do it and how it's done and why why why.

poshkat
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Quoting Kathy489:

Mine is too. Hes very articulate but I need a break!!!! Today was a snow day so I'm a flustered
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I agree with the pros of giving my son all of my attention. And I understand about the sadness, too. My son sometimes mentions that "when we have another baby..." and I don't have the heart to tell him that there most likely won't be any more.

However, some people have the misconception that having siblings makes you happier. I grew up in a family of 5 kids, and we fought all the time, and we are not close as adults. We all live in different states and rarely communicate. I also know a girl who hated her childhood, due to her siblings, and she planned on having only one for that reason.

Quoting MrsApple:

We have one daughter.We had originally planned to have just one,because of my high risk pregnancies and losses but when she turned two I realized that I wanted more and then we decided to start trying when she was 4.She's 6 now and still no siblings.

The pros are that it's easier to do things,she's so independant now,we feel like we can give her our complete attention.

Cons...she doesn't have a "built in" playmate but she has so many friends that live nearby that it's easy to go pick one of them up for a playdate or a sleepover.She's at the age where she realizes that most of her friends have siblings or that most families have more than just one child and I'm noticing that it makes her sad at times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)