Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Reading intervention

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 23 Replies
My first grade son goes to a class for reading intervention with a bunch of other kids as part of EIP. He also goes to a reading coach once a week through the school. We also have a tutor at home 2 times a week. Today I get a letter that he will be getting one on one tutoring 30 min a day. Doesn't this sound a little excessive? I just think its a lot for him to go back and forth with that many different teachers. Any thought?
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM

i guess it would depend on the need.  Is the tutor a recommendation?  Or is it on your own?  Do you have a plan with the teacher to improve his reading so you guys are on the same page?

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Quoting M4LG5:

i guess it would depend on the need.  Is the tutor a recommendation?  Or is it on your own?  Do you have a plan with the teacher to improve his reading so you guys are on the same page?

No it a recommendation of the school.
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting M4LG5:

No it a recommendation of the school.

It does seem like a lot so I guess I would just sit down with the staff at the school and talk about what each area of help will do and why. 

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Quoting M4LG5:

Yep. One or two teachers is fine but it's getting a little ridiculous IMO.
corrinacs
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Hey,

You know, as I was reading this, I thought the same thing.  He's here there and everywhere LOL.  I would speak to his teacher about the subject since she's probably most aware of his entire situation, tutoring, etc. she can help you determine from experience what may be best.  Does he have someone there that handles his IEP aside from his teacher?  Perhaps speak with her as well.

Good luck :)

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I would talk to the teacher but if the school was offering more help, I probably wouldn't say no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
The more people surrounding your child to help him read the better.
It's not going to harm him to read with lots of people. If he needs it, let him recieve the help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I agreed with the comments made by in this post. Honestly I think it is great that your son is getting extra help that he needs . I would ask the teacher if your son can have either one on one tutoring or the reading group with coach.  Set up a meeting with the teacher and create a program that will be easy for your child or less excessive.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Do you have pets at home? Have you tried letting him read to your pet in a relaxed manner? Sometimes jut having non-judgmental company can help a child relax and they improve in leaps and bounds.

I would say it depends on how DS reacts to all of the special help. Is it helping? or bringing down his confidence in himself?

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Do you have pets at home? Have you tried letting him read to your pet in a relaxed manner? Sometimes jut having non-judgmental company can help a child relax and they improve in leaps and bounds.

I would say it depends on how DS reacts to all of the special help. Is it helping? or bringing down his confidence in himself?

To me he doesn't seem to mind. In my eyes he was improving but not in the IEP teachers eyes. I just don't know it seems like a lot of effort for little results.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN