Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 6 year old told me she wanted to kill herself

Posted by   + Show Post

I have no clue how to handle this.  She has said it once before and we had a nice long talk about it.  She said it again today after she was acting crazy and I told her I was going to take her laptop away for the afternoon.  When I asked her why she would say that, she at first said " I don't know" then said that she said it because we (mom and dad) make her mad and that we never let her do anything.  I explained to her that if she killed herself that she would never see her family again.  I asked her if she wanted that and she just started bawling and crying.  How would you ladies handle this situation?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
RLT2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I'd sit her down and have a long talk. First. I'd want to know if she really knows what that means and where she heard this mentioned. I'd also start digging to find out the root of her unhappiness; school, home, is she being bullied etc. Then go from there. If it's primarily a school issue, schedule a talk with the teacher pronto. If it's a home issue, you and your husband need to have a convo about how to handle it. If it just seems like generalized sadness or she won't tell you what's wrong, I'd get a therapist. Good luck to you guys!

mommieofII
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Oh lord... Maybe just sit her down and tell her that it really hurts your feelings when she says things like that and maybe ask her if she even knows what it means to kill herself.. If she does let her know that she has a lot of people who love her and would be very sad if she werent here anymore.

sunfire79
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I think she does understand what it means, but when i asked her where she heard that, she said that she heard it from herself.  She did start a new school this year, and we have a new baby, so it could be jealousy.  We had a very long talk about it, and her daddy is planning to have a talk with her when he gets home.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I think you should contact the school counselor.  It sounds like she could use some professional help.

Christine0813
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I suggest counseling, immediately.

MamaLori
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Please don't take this lightly. Get her in counseling as soon as you can. My middle son was 8 when his father passed away. A few months after that happened he said he wanted to kill himself. I talked with him and tried to make him understand how serious that was and I thought he understood. 3 months later he came into my room, in the middle of the night, sobbing. He had been awake for a while in his room and said that he was thinking of ways that he could kill himself and he was scared. I stayed up with him the rest of the night and we saw teh dr first thing in the  morning. I had to get rid of everything sharp in my house that day because he had told the dr that he had a knife hidden in his room and thought about using that. He also thought about putting his pillowcase in his mouth. My parents and I took turns staying up all night just to watch him for a while. He was medicated and between that and the dr it did get better for him. He's 13 now and still sees someone twice a month. He feels a lot better today and while he understands what suicide would do to our family he still isn't comfortable giving up the counseling yet.

I'm not trying to scare you. I just want you to know that even at such a young age kids can be crying out for help. Sometimes they don't even know why they are having these feelings. I hope you talk to a dr and get some help for all of you. Good luck.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I will agree with those who have suggested talking with a professional, whether it be the school counselor, her doctor, or a therapist.  Yes, children that young can have suicidal thoughts and they can and do act on them.  When you are talking about the life of your child, it is always better to err on the side of caution.

jess80
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My sister had a rough childhood and was treated badly and molested. She acted out by saying this stuff too. She didnt fully understand the concept thankfully but I remember her having a thumb tack and poking herself in the finger saying she was going to kill herself. She was 6 yrs old. Please make sure nothing like that is going on with her. My sister is now an adult with children of her own an is still messed up from the trauma. She's immature for her age and I feel sorry for her that she didnt get help as a child. I pray this is not what's going on with your daughter but please make sure because my mom didnt know and didnt find out till it was too late;(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

She is having a hard time dealing with this situation.  Does she throw tantrums frequently??? Has she acted out violently?? If not its just her way of threatening you , to get what she wants. My 5 year old typically goes with, "you're not my best friend, Daddy is" or "you can't play with me anymore" I think what you did by explaining what Death is was perfect, unless she is being violent, depressed, ect. I wouldn't worry too much, again its just her way to try and get you go buckle and give her what she wants.

jennbec1
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Take her to a professional immediately. Suicide is no joke, even when the threats are coming from someone so young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)