Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 6 year old told me she wanted to kill herself

Posted by   + Show Post

I have no clue how to handle this.  She has said it once before and we had a nice long talk about it.  She said it again today after she was acting crazy and I told her I was going to take her laptop away for the afternoon.  When I asked her why she would say that, she at first said " I don't know" then said that she said it because we (mom and dad) make her mad and that we never let her do anything.  I explained to her that if she killed herself that she would never see her family again.  I asked her if she wanted that and she just started bawling and crying.  How would you ladies handle this situation?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (21-26):
signingmama2915
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I can say a 6 year old can understand what it means, however does she?? There is no way to know. If she does get it and is still saying it she should be seen by a child psychologist.

Quoting iansusie:

Do you think she understands what "Kill myself" means? Maybe she is just mad and knows that it will get  to you if she says it? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

That is what I was trying to say. Just because at a certain age the average kid is capable of understanding certain things does not mean that they all do. I know my son was like "whoa", when I explain to him that "killing" meant someone would die and it was permanent. He knew that dying is permanent but didn't realize that "killing" yielded the same results as dying. He thought it was like "sending someone away until we are not mad anymore". Then again, he never said he wanted to kill himself.

Quoting signingmama2915:

I can say a 6 year old can understand what it means, however does she?? There is no way to know. If she does get it and is still saying it she should be seen by a child psychologist.

Quoting iansusie:

Do you think she understands what "Kill myself" means? Maybe she is just mad and knows that it will get  to you if she says it? 

soinvolved
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I would remind her how important she was to you and to herself and let her know she was placed on this world by god and that she is a special gift to you no matter what.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I would not take this lightly. Suicide is no joke and she needs to learn she can not use it to get attention. Professional help immediatley. Good luck momma

coolfashions72
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Hugs, words of love.....have a mommy and daughter day.......

janitablue
by Janita on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Well said........

Quoting JoanahLee:

I think you handled it well... explain how serious and permanent suicide is. I would continue that conversation and explain to her, and then role play, some alternate statements that get her point across better... "Im really really mad at you right now!" or "I don't want to talk to anyone, id rather be alone for a little while" or "Im sad/angry/frustrated, please listen to me".  

Try  not to let her see a big reaction from you either, otherwise she will learn that she can always get your attention and cause a scene when she says that. 

If you have even the smallest doubt that she is not just using a phrase she heard to get your attention then take her to a counselor.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)