Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

IM POSTING THIS LOOOOOONG AS POST HOPING TO GET SOME ADIVICE.

I HAVE AN 8YEAR OLD WHO IS IN THE 3RD GRADE.... SHE IS AN EXTREMELY SMART CHILD, IVE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH HER PAYING ATTENTION AT SCHOOL SHE ALWAYS FINDS A DISTRACTION. HOWEVER SHE ISNT ADD OR ADHD ( SHE CHOSES NOT TO PAYATTENTION) WE HAVE TRIED PUNISHING HER, BEHAVIOR CHARTS, REWARDS SYSTEMS I FEEL THERE IS NOTHIN I HAVE NOT DONE TO TRY AND GET HER TO PAY ATTENTION IN SCHOOL. FIRST AND SECOND GRADE INSPITE OF HER BEHAVOR SHE KEPT VERY GOOD GRADES. HIS YEAR HER BEHAVIOR IS AFFECTING HER GRADES, THE PROBLEM IS THAT SHE KNOWSHOW TO DO THE WORK EVEN THE TEACHER AGREES WITH ME ON THIS. IVE SPOKEN TO HER, WE'VE HAD MEETINGS AT SCHOOL AND NOTHING! ON ONE CONVERSATION SHE SAID TO ME THAT SHE DOES IT BECAUSE SHE FEELS LIKE IT, NOW SHE SAYS SHE DOESNT KNOW. THIS WEE WE STAYED DOING HOMEWORK FROM 5PM UNTIL ABOUT 12 MIDNIGHT BECAUSE WE HAVE TO KEEP REDOING THE WORK.

I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR COUNCELING ALREADY SCHEDULED, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS GONETHROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS AND WHAT WERE YOU ABLE TO DO ON YOUR OWN.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
yalieh0713
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Good Idea,,, actually my parents used to do the same with me. I wasnt alowed to bring home anything but A's. Ill try this. Im taking notes girl LOL

Quoting nicmotivatedmom:

My son does the same thing. He has told me before that He just likes to do it. But  his gradesdidnt slip until thisgrading period. So whenever he gets a bad grade on a test or like now since his grades have gone down he has to write sentences. Now this is two fold for him bc he hand writing stinks. So say he got an F on a spelling test well he has to write a differnt sentence with proper spelling and punctuation 5 sentences per word. Then he has to write his Vocabulary words and use each one in a sentence. He sometime will have to write sentences for behavior issues. since he flies through his school work without really even reading the directions he now has to write 100 sentences everyday that " I will slow down and read directions." until his next report card. This seems to help him because he knows that if he acts up or doenst do them right he has to start over and sometimes I will tack on 50 more at a time. He HATES to write and his hand writing shows that but hey hes learning something.

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

But my daughter is doing the opposite to yours,,, SHE is now refusing to do the work or does it wrong I wish she aske for more wor, I know she knows just like you. When we are doing the homework I do not tell her what to do I let her figure it out which most of the time she knows... Its soooo frustrating! LOL

I set up an appointment for counseling ( which I feel is a waste of money and time) But I want to try and use every resource to get a solution.

Quoting Desirees_mom:

I Know exactly what you are going through.. Mine is in 1st and I have heard the SAME things this year.. her "knowledge" has slipped I was informed that it was due to the summer which is bull bc she is still up to par at home, she does her homework in less than 2 min each night but yet she is bored.. she asks me to come teach her.. she has also told me ohh she doesnt know this work its to hard I couldnt do it at school I said prove it (last year she was reading 2nd grade books) this one time in particular it was a k/1st grade reading book that was giving her "issues" :/ so I said prove it and maybe Ill give you something she read it before I could finish.. saying I would give her a hug...  but her writing has suffered and with the spelling she has asked me countless times when will they get harder words.. I have sent a few notes, but I just try to continue to do things at home when I am well enough.. But my DD Just rushes through it and doesnt care.. they turned around and said she needed tutoring, so shes now in a joke of a tutoring where its word bingo and ipad word games..  a joke but go through the motions.. a kid that had rave reviews from alllll adults about how smart she is is now in tutoring smh.. and biting my tongue.. I have a new goodies prize box that she has to prove herself by taking her time and doing better work bc I KNOW she knows it but she has to show the people at school she knows it..(they just told me she reached a level where she was at mid -end year last year reading wise when shes been reading up a storm and harder books so there is something a mis) Ive been temped to pull her.. The teacher thinks shes trying her best but I know my daughter..Shes there to "play" and see her friends thatsit...Shes told me flat out Shes bored, and doesnt remember what happened at school, and didnt learn anything, but when she comes home she asks to go right for the workbooks I have and other items we have here.. and books to read..

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I have explained to her that if she wants harder work she needs to prove she could do whats given, have also told her she will not go far with that behavior. havent tried the timer yet.

BUT when I said Im out of options I meant Im OUT of options. Everyones replies have been helpful though. It is comforting to heatr other people have gone through the same issue.  Thank YOU!

Quoting kmrtigger:

Sit her down and explain to her, that if she wants to be challenged at school, then she has to prove she can handle the work set before her. On a side note, I have never heard of with holding the testing for being gifted because grade level work isn't being completed. Ask if they can test her regardless. Maybe she needs more challenging work. If she proves to be on that level, then maybe they can use that to entice her to do the work in front of her completely and then being given more work that is a challenge afterwards.

Set a timer for the homework at home. No more than one hour is all it should take for third grade. And that's with redoing some of the work, if need be. Once the timer goes off, she is done.

Also explain to her that she is in charge of how far she goes in school. And with this sort of behavior it's not going to be far. Ask her if she wants to be left behind in third grade while her friends move forward.

Desirees_mom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Im sorry your going through this, I do understand how frustrating it is, even though there are differences with our girls it feels like a waste and wash.. I have gotten support from others saying that they think it is just the "classroom" that she will bounce back.. Meaning she Doesnt want to show the teacher or the kids She wants to Fit in to the "norm".. I dont like it but will keep trying.. Best of luck :)

Quoting yalieh0713:

But my daughter is doing the opposite to yours,,, SHE is now refusing to do the work or does it wrong I wish she aske for more wor, I know she knows just like you. When we are doing the homework I do not tell her what to do I let her figure it out which most of the time she knows... Its soooo frustrating! LOL

I set up an appointment for counseling ( which I feel is a waste of money and time) But I want to try and use every resource to get a solution.

Quoting Desirees_mom:

I Know exactly what you are going through.. Mine is in 1st and I have heard the SAME things this year.. her "knowledge" has slipped I was informed that it was due to the summer which is bull bc she is still up to par at home, she does her homework in less than 2 min each night but yet she is bored.. she asks me to come teach her.. she has also told me ohh she doesnt know this work its to hard I couldnt do it at school I said prove it (last year she was reading 2nd grade books) this one time in particular it was a k/1st grade reading book that was giving her "issues" :/ so I said prove it and maybe Ill give you something she read it before I could finish.. saying I would give her a hug...  but her writing has suffered and with the spelling she has asked me countless times when will they get harder words.. I have sent a few notes, but I just try to continue to do things at home when I am well enough.. But my DD Just rushes through it and doesnt care.. they turned around and said she needed tutoring, so shes now in a joke of a tutoring where its word bingo and ipad word games..  a joke but go through the motions.. a kid that had rave reviews from alllll adults about how smart she is is now in tutoring smh.. and biting my tongue.. I have a new goodies prize box that she has to prove herself by taking her time and doing better work bc I KNOW she knows it but she has to show the people at school she knows it..(they just told me she reached a level where she was at mid -end year last year reading wise when shes been reading up a storm and harder books so there is something a mis) Ive been temped to pull her.. The teacher thinks shes trying her best but I know my daughter..Shes there to "play" and see her friends thatsit...Shes told me flat out Shes bored, and doesnt remember what happened at school, and didnt learn anything, but when she comes home she asks to go right for the workbooks I have and other items we have here.. and books to read..

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Thank You!  that is somewhat true may be she doesnt want to fit in the norm, I understand her point of view to a certain extent, the schools want all the kids to be at the same level I also believe that hurts the children. I dont get much support from the family If anything I feel everyone fights me,,, no one follows my rules when Im not home after school the work doesnt get done, thankfully Ive manage to get a schedule around my daughter. I hope this will make a diffrence.

For instance on Monday: my daughter was supposed to do some work that she didnt get done at school, she didnt bring it home, I sent the teacher a note. in my opinion it shouldve been sent home yesterday to be done. Well NO since she behaved teacher told her that she didnt have to do it. Stuff  like this has made things worst in the past and I see that as one of the problems she can not have any leniency and Ive brough this up to the teachers attention... ugh Im sorry dont meant to complain so much! LOL

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Im sorry your going through this, I do understand how frustrating it is, even though there are differences with our girls it feels like a waste and wash.. I have gotten support from others saying that they think it is just the "classroom" that she will bounce back.. Meaning she Doesnt want to show the teacher or the kids She wants to Fit in to the "norm".. I dont like it but will keep trying.. Best of luck :)

Quoting yalieh0713:

Quoting Desirees_mom:

BannerElkHogans
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM

have you spanked her...................my daughter is 5 an in kindergarten an had the same problem at the beginning of the school yr.........then we started something new  corripal punishment.......that means if your bad at school you will be getting a spanking when you get home .........after about 2 weeks of getting spankings she learned an now she's doing everything an more of whats expected from her at school..................an that doesn't mean whip the hell out of her every time she messes up ........let the punishment fit the crime is our motto

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

True...

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

have you spanked her...................my daughter is 5 an in kindergarten an had the same problem at the beginning of the school yr.........then we started something new  corripal punishment.......that means if your bad at school you will be getting a spanking when you get home .........after about 2 weeks of getting spankings she learned an now she's doing everything an more of whats expected from her at school..................an that doesn't mean whip the hell out of her every time she messes up ........let the punishment fit the crime is our motto

nicmotivatedmom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My other fav thing to do is make him look up words in the dictionary. Like Responsible.. then write the definition. or words like angry, caring, hard, work, learn Or like Fail, disapoint, respect, trust Things that pertain to what she is doing or how she is acting. Again its a two fold thing. Practive using a dictionary and writing, and meaning of words that will help her understand the severity of her situation.

shadowspirit07
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Perhaps she is bored in the class because she's more advanced?

bnsellis
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I agree that she is bored.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)