Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

IM POSTING THIS LOOOOOONG AS POST HOPING TO GET SOME ADIVICE.

I HAVE AN 8YEAR OLD WHO IS IN THE 3RD GRADE.... SHE IS AN EXTREMELY SMART CHILD, IVE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH HER PAYING ATTENTION AT SCHOOL SHE ALWAYS FINDS A DISTRACTION. HOWEVER SHE ISNT ADD OR ADHD ( SHE CHOSES NOT TO PAYATTENTION) WE HAVE TRIED PUNISHING HER, BEHAVIOR CHARTS, REWARDS SYSTEMS I FEEL THERE IS NOTHIN I HAVE NOT DONE TO TRY AND GET HER TO PAY ATTENTION IN SCHOOL. FIRST AND SECOND GRADE INSPITE OF HER BEHAVOR SHE KEPT VERY GOOD GRADES. HIS YEAR HER BEHAVIOR IS AFFECTING HER GRADES, THE PROBLEM IS THAT SHE KNOWSHOW TO DO THE WORK EVEN THE TEACHER AGREES WITH ME ON THIS. IVE SPOKEN TO HER, WE'VE HAD MEETINGS AT SCHOOL AND NOTHING! ON ONE CONVERSATION SHE SAID TO ME THAT SHE DOES IT BECAUSE SHE FEELS LIKE IT, NOW SHE SAYS SHE DOESNT KNOW. THIS WEE WE STAYED DOING HOMEWORK FROM 5PM UNTIL ABOUT 12 MIDNIGHT BECAUSE WE HAVE TO KEEP REDOING THE WORK.

I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR COUNCELING ALREADY SCHEDULED, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS GONETHROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS AND WHAT WERE YOU ABLE TO DO ON YOUR OWN.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
HotMommaStout
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It sounds to me like she isn't being challenged enough and she is bored.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Doesn't matter....she is still not doing the work and the way she is doing it is out defiance. Bored or not.....students need to do the work.

Quoting HotMommaStout:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
midjet117
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I agree. It sounds like she is bored and her brain isn't being stimulated enough. I hope you, the principal and your daughter's teacher can come to some kind of resolution
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Take away all her stuff except for a few sets of clothes and shoes that you pick out. Take her door off the hinges and make her earn everything back. Early bedtime too, until she gets herself back on track.
calsmom62
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Some kids seek attention in the most unproductive ways. I agree with the posters that say let her have some natural consequences. And 5to midnight is too long for homework.....
yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I defanetly agree with you,,, Im very concern that her stubborness will affect her, she is bright and very mature Ive sat with her and explained  that by not doing the work she is hurting herself.

Quoting M4LG5:

Doesn't matter....she is still not doing the work and the way she is doing it is out defiance. Bored or not.....students need to do the work.

Quoting HotMommaStout:

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ive taken her TV for days, I took a few things away it gets worst. Ive never taken EVERYTHING away but Ill try that I hope that works.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Take away all her stuff except for a few sets of clothes and shoes that you pick out. Take her door off the hinges and make her earn everything back. Early bedtime too, until she gets herself back on track.

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Im sorry for any misspelling or grammar errors, Im at work and typing in a rush since thats so important

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hey,

Thank You! The teacher agrees that she is advanced but since she isnt performing at grade level they will not test her for the G/T program... Thankfully Ill be home after school with her now ( I wasnt before) so Im going to work with her and give her a few weeks Im hoping me being home will help her,,, thanks! 

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

I think what you have done so far has been perfect, but the responses so far have not been :/.   Keep workign with the teacher.  Let her know that the REASON she is acting the way she is is because she is bored.  What you are describing is typical behavior from a child that is ahead of the class and is bored in school.  Hopefully they will work with you to etiher get her bumped to the G/T program (if she qualifies) or at least have the teacher acknowledge this is effecting her grades and giving her more advanced work.  Talk with the Principal as well! 

Good luck :)

TristansMom440
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I agree.  I am going through a similar situation with my DS.  He's in K.  His teacher started giving him extra work that is on a higher level that he likes.  Is there a gifted program at your dd's school?  Can she be referred/evaluated for it.  Maybe she needs to be challenged more?  IDK  Good luck!  Oh and I should add as far as distractions, my son has been moved to the front of the class close to the teacher's desk.  At home, we have to make sure all distractions are eliminated...and we do his work in short segments w/breaks in between. 

Quoting HotMommaStout:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)