Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

IM POSTING THIS LOOOOOONG AS POST HOPING TO GET SOME ADIVICE.

I HAVE AN 8YEAR OLD WHO IS IN THE 3RD GRADE.... SHE IS AN EXTREMELY SMART CHILD, IVE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH HER PAYING ATTENTION AT SCHOOL SHE ALWAYS FINDS A DISTRACTION. HOWEVER SHE ISNT ADD OR ADHD ( SHE CHOSES NOT TO PAYATTENTION) WE HAVE TRIED PUNISHING HER, BEHAVIOR CHARTS, REWARDS SYSTEMS I FEEL THERE IS NOTHIN I HAVE NOT DONE TO TRY AND GET HER TO PAY ATTENTION IN SCHOOL. FIRST AND SECOND GRADE INSPITE OF HER BEHAVOR SHE KEPT VERY GOOD GRADES. HIS YEAR HER BEHAVIOR IS AFFECTING HER GRADES, THE PROBLEM IS THAT SHE KNOWSHOW TO DO THE WORK EVEN THE TEACHER AGREES WITH ME ON THIS. IVE SPOKEN TO HER, WE'VE HAD MEETINGS AT SCHOOL AND NOTHING! ON ONE CONVERSATION SHE SAID TO ME THAT SHE DOES IT BECAUSE SHE FEELS LIKE IT, NOW SHE SAYS SHE DOESNT KNOW. THIS WEE WE STAYED DOING HOMEWORK FROM 5PM UNTIL ABOUT 12 MIDNIGHT BECAUSE WE HAVE TO KEEP REDOING THE WORK.

I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR COUNCELING ALREADY SCHEDULED, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS GONETHROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS AND WHAT WERE YOU ABLE TO DO ON YOUR OWN.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
TristansMom440
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Okay I should have read this before I posted.  I guess the gifted program is out...

Quoting yalieh0713:

Hey,

Thank You! The teacher agrees that she is advanced but since she isnt performing at grade level they will not test her for the G/T program... Thankfully Ill be home after school with her now ( I wasnt before) so Im going to work with her and give her a few weeks Im hoping me being home will help her,,, thanks! 

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

I think what you have done so far has been perfect, but the responses so far have not been :/.   Keep workign with the teacher.  Let her know that the REASON she is acting the way she is is because she is bored.  What you are describing is typical behavior from a child that is ahead of the class and is bored in school.  Hopefully they will work with you to etiher get her bumped to the G/T program (if she qualifies) or at least have the teacher acknowledge this is effecting her grades and giving her more advanced work.  Talk with the Principal as well! 

Good luck :)

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Oh I know,,, yess 5 to 12 is way too much tie it shouldnt take her more than an hr. tops to get her work dine, I give her 2hrs to do homework and study. she is failing as of now inless she A's averything this last marking period,,, I think thats bad enough. what amazes me the most is that she doesnt show she cares. on friday morning she says to me " since Im going to be tired in the morning, Ill just wash my face with cold water from now on"

I do not think this is normal! 

Quoting calsmom62:

Some kids seek attention in the most unproductive ways. I agree with the posters that say let her have some natural consequences. And 5to midnight is too long for homework.....

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for your advise,,,Ill try that. at my DD's school they have her in the back of the class, and theyve sent her to sit at the pre-k and Kindergarden classes, I think this is bad but I cant tell them how to do their job. I feel the more she is punish, the worse she behaves.  

Quoting TristansMom440:

I agree.  I am going through a similar situation with my DS.  He's in K.  His teacher started giving him extra work that is on a higher level that he likes.  Is there a gifted program at your dd's school?  Can she be referred/evaluated for it.  Maybe she needs to be challenged more?  IDK  Good luck!  Oh and I should add as far as distractions, my son has been moved to the front of the class close to the teacher's desk.  At home, we have to make sure all distractions are eliminated...and we do his work in short segments w/breaks in between. 

Quoting HotMommaStout:

It sounds to me like she isn't being challenged enough and she is bored.

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Yupp... LOL ive gotten a lot of good ideas Ill try them all until I find something that works..

Quoting TristansMom440:

Okay I should have read this before I posted.  I guess the gifted program is out...

Quoting yalieh0713:

Hey,

Thank You! The teacher agrees that she is advanced but since she isnt performing at grade level they will not test her for the G/T program... Thankfully Ill be home after school with her now ( I wasnt before) so Im going to work with her and give her a few weeks Im hoping me being home will help her,,, thanks! 

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

I think what you have done so far has been perfect, but the responses so far have not been :/.   Keep workign with the teacher.  Let her know that the REASON she is acting the way she is is because she is bored.  What you are describing is typical behavior from a child that is ahead of the class and is bored in school.  Hopefully they will work with you to etiher get her bumped to the G/T program (if she qualifies) or at least have the teacher acknowledge this is effecting her grades and giving her more advanced work.  Talk with the Principal as well! 

wissotamum
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I would give her a set amount if time for homework, then done. Then move on to something more stimulating - a cool app about space or nature, play a game with her, or something else that is mentally stimulating.
I'd also look at her diet. Simple carbs can make kids (and adults) have big swings in blood sugar that make them sluggish and grumpy. No more white bread, white pastas, flavored drinks, or sweets. Not as a punishment, but as a way of life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

That goes against the whole situation.  You know that she's ahead, and the G/T programs was DESIGNED For these students :/.  Keep talking with them about it especially if the grades don't get any better.  You can demand it, too you know.  I hate having to pull those strings, but you do once in a while.

Quoting yalieh0713:

Hey,

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

nicmotivatedmom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

My son does the same thing. He has told me before that He just likes to do it. But  his gradesdidnt slip until thisgrading period. So whenever he gets a bad grade on a test or like now since his grades have gone down he has to write sentences. Now this is two fold for him bc he hand writing stinks. So say he got an F on a spelling test well he has to write a differnt sentence with proper spelling and punctuation 5 sentences per word. Then he has to write his Vocabulary words and use each one in a sentence. He sometime will have to write sentences for behavior issues. since he flies through his school work without really even reading the directions he now has to write 100 sentences everyday that " I will slow down and read directions." until his next report card. This seems to help him because he knows that if he acts up or doenst do them right he has to start over and sometimes I will tack on 50 more at a time. He HATES to write and his hand writing shows that but hey hes learning something.

Desirees_mom
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I Know exactly what you are going through.. Mine is in 1st and I have heard the SAME things this year.. her "knowledge" has slipped I was informed that it was due to the summer which is bull bc she is still up to par at home, she does her homework in less than 2 min each night but yet she is bored.. she asks me to come teach her.. she has also told me ohh she doesnt know this work its to hard I couldnt do it at school I said prove it (last year she was reading 2nd grade books) this one time in particular it was a k/1st grade reading book that was giving her "issues" :/ so I said prove it and maybe Ill give you something she read it before I could finish.. saying I would give her a hug...  but her writing has suffered and with the spelling she has asked me countless times when will they get harder words.. I have sent a few notes, but I just try to continue to do things at home when I am well enough.. But my DD Just rushes through it and doesnt care.. they turned around and said she needed tutoring, so shes now in a joke of a tutoring where its word bingo and ipad word games..  a joke but go through the motions.. a kid that had rave reviews from alllll adults about how smart she is is now in tutoring smh.. and biting my tongue.. I have a new goodies prize box that she has to prove herself by taking her time and doing better work bc I KNOW she knows it but she has to show the people at school she knows it..(they just told me she reached a level where she was at mid -end year last year reading wise when shes been reading up a storm and harder books so there is something a mis) Ive been temped to pull her.. The teacher thinks shes trying her best but I know my daughter..Shes there to "play" and see her friends thatsit...Shes told me flat out Shes bored, and doesnt remember what happened at school, and didnt learn anything, but when she comes home she asks to go right for the workbooks I have and other items we have here.. and books to read..

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Sit her down and explain to her, that if she wants to be challenged at school, then she has to prove she can handle the work set before her. On a side note, I have never heard of with holding the testing for being gifted because grade level work isn't being completed. Ask if they can test her regardless. Maybe she needs more challenging work. If she proves to be on that level, then maybe they can use that to entice her to do the work in front of her completely and then being given more work that is a challenge afterwards.

Set a timer for the homework at home. No more than one hour is all it should take for third grade. And that's with redoing some of the work, if need be. Once the timer goes off, she is done.

Also explain to her that she is in charge of how far she goes in school. And with this sort of behavior it's not going to be far. Ask her if she wants to be left behind in third grade while her friends move forward.

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Yes I know what you mean,,, On friday we have a meeting set up. Ill tell them again. thankfully next year she will be going to Charter school God willing. I know that will be challenging enough for her, but I do not want her to loose one year.

Quoting corrinacs:

That goes against the whole situation.  You know that she's ahead, and the G/T programs was DESIGNED For these students :/.  Keep talking with them about it especially if the grades don't get any better.  You can demand it, too you know.  I hate having to pull those strings, but you do once in a while.

Quoting yalieh0713:

Hey,

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN