Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

IM POSTING THIS LOOOOOONG AS POST HOPING TO GET SOME ADIVICE.

I HAVE AN 8YEAR OLD WHO IS IN THE 3RD GRADE.... SHE IS AN EXTREMELY SMART CHILD, IVE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH HER PAYING ATTENTION AT SCHOOL SHE ALWAYS FINDS A DISTRACTION. HOWEVER SHE ISNT ADD OR ADHD ( SHE CHOSES NOT TO PAYATTENTION) WE HAVE TRIED PUNISHING HER, BEHAVIOR CHARTS, REWARDS SYSTEMS I FEEL THERE IS NOTHIN I HAVE NOT DONE TO TRY AND GET HER TO PAY ATTENTION IN SCHOOL. FIRST AND SECOND GRADE INSPITE OF HER BEHAVOR SHE KEPT VERY GOOD GRADES. HIS YEAR HER BEHAVIOR IS AFFECTING HER GRADES, THE PROBLEM IS THAT SHE KNOWSHOW TO DO THE WORK EVEN THE TEACHER AGREES WITH ME ON THIS. IVE SPOKEN TO HER, WE'VE HAD MEETINGS AT SCHOOL AND NOTHING! ON ONE CONVERSATION SHE SAID TO ME THAT SHE DOES IT BECAUSE SHE FEELS LIKE IT, NOW SHE SAYS SHE DOESNT KNOW. THIS WEE WE STAYED DOING HOMEWORK FROM 5PM UNTIL ABOUT 12 MIDNIGHT BECAUSE WE HAVE TO KEEP REDOING THE WORK.

I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR COUNCELING ALREADY SCHEDULED, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS GONETHROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS AND WHAT WERE YOU ABLE TO DO ON YOUR OWN.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Replies (41-46):
Starshine-bela
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
After going through some severe behavior issues with my son and getting through them, I can't emphasis enough how beneficial martial arts training is. It teaches discipline, focus, self defense. My son is a purple belt (almost blue) and has been going for over a year. It's like night and day from where he was when he started and where he is now. I highly recommend looking into it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Desirees_mom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Dont worry, I am there with you... I think you are correct there should be a strict policy with all work.. I also have been having a hard time with the No Child Left behind Act.  Although I do think it is great for some kids, I think that it harms our other children who are more advanced, by forcing them to stay in classes that are below the level they are at causing them to be bored and develop problems in other areas andsuch.. Even though they say they can test up but most times I do not see that actually happening.. There is another girl in DD grade that is WAY beyond Im talking Min. 3rd grade level work across the board  and about 5th in reading, yet she is still being held in 1st grade.. They had refused to test her up, andso far that child has been acting out towards other kids... I feel bad for these kids.. I remember a few moms(who used to be in Education) at one point told me I couldn't get upset bc I had done to much with my DD at home putting her at a higher level therefor at a disadvantage.. (first time I EVER heard learning was a disadvantage)

Thank You!  that is somewhat true may be she doesnt want to fit in the norm, I understand her point of view to a certain extent, the schools want all the kids to be at the same level I also believe that hurts the children. I dont get much support from the family If anything I feel everyone fights me,,, no one follows my rules when Im not home after school the work doesnt get done, thankfully Ive manage to get a schedule around my daughter. I hope this will make a diffrence.

For instance on Monday: my daughter was supposed to do some work that she didnt get done at school, she didnt bring it home, I sent the teacher a note. in my opinion it shouldve been sent home yesterday to be done. Well NO since she behaved teacher told her that she didnt have to do it. Stuff  like this has made things worst in the past and I see that as one of the problems she can not have any leniency and Ive brough this up to the teachers attention... ugh Im sorry dont meant to complain so much! LOL

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Imsorry your going through this, I do understand how frustrating it is, even though there are differences with our girls it feels like a waste and wash.. I have gotten support from others saying that they think it is just the "classroom" that she will bounce back.. Meaning she Doesnt want to show the teacher or the kids She wants to Fit in to the "norm".. I dont like it but will keep trying.. Best of luck :)

Quoting yalieh0713:

But my daughter is doing the opposite to yours,,, SHE is now refusing to do the work or does it wrong I wish she aske for more wor, I know she knows just like you. When we are doing the homework I do not tell her what to do I let her figure it out which most of the time she knows... Its soooo frustrating! LOL

I set up an appointment for counseling ( which I feel is a waste of money and time) But I want to try and use every resource to get a solution.

Quoting Desirees_mom:

I Know exactly what you are going through.. Mine is in 1st and I have heard the SAME things this year.. her "knowledge" has slipped I was informed that it was due to the summer which is bull bc she is still up to par at home, she does her homework in less than 2 min each night but yet she is bored.. she asks me to come teach her.. she has also told me ohh she doesnt know this work its to hard I couldnt do it at school I said prove it (last year she was reading 2nd grade books) this one time in particular it was a k/1st grade reading book that was giving her "issues" :/ so I said prove it and maybe Ill give you something she read it before I could finish.. saying I would give her a hug...  but her writing has suffered and with the spelling she has asked me countless times when will they get harder words.. I have sent a few notes, but I just try to continue to do things at home when I am well enough.. But my DD Just rushes through it and doesntcare.. they turned around and said she needed tutoring, so shes now in a joke of a tutoring where its word bingo and ipad word games..  a joke but go through the motions.. a kid that had rave reviews from alllll adults about how smart she is is now in tutoring smh.. and biting my tongue.. I have a new goodies prize box that she has to prove herself by taking her time and doing better work bc I KNOW she knows it but she has to show the people at school she knows it..(they just told me she reached a level where she was at mid -end year last year reading wise when shes been reading up a storm and harder books so there is something a mis) Ive been temped to pull her.. The teacher thinks shes trying her best but I know my daughter..Shes there to "play" and see her friends thatsit...Shes told me flat out Shes bored, and doesnt remember what happened at school, and didnt learn anything, but when she comes home she asks to go right for the workbooks I have and other items we have here.. and books to read..

Yellowlily333
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I have been in a similar situation. We raised our nephew from when he We had a VERY hard time getting him to learn to focus, and even more than that to WANT to focus. Honestly, we never perfected this-but he was a MILLION times better at paying attention, school work, and behavior issues, than when he first came to us.  We had a good relationship with the school. We stayed ahead of the IEP meetings, volunteered in class A LOT, chaperoned everything, popped in for lunch.  He learned that we were very aware of how he was acting. At any given moment we could pop in and he would be in trouble if he got caught acting up. He learned to want to have his teachers, and us to be happy with his behavior. I am sure you already are involved, but maybe you can be more involved. Seeing you there may help! Good luck, Momma!!

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Please do not get me started on the no child left behind act,,,, I was speaking to a 3rd grade teacher on that subject and she didnt agree with it, it hurts the kids that are advanced. its very  hard as a parent to deal with this kind of stuff and in my opinion the system contradicts it self making it hard for us.

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Dont worry, I am there with you... I think you are correct there should be a strict policy with all work.. I also have been having a hard time with the No Child Left behind Act.  Although I do think it is great for some kids, I think that it harms our other children who are more advanced, by forcing them to stay in classes that are below the level they are at causing them to be bored and develop problems in other areas andsuch.. Even though they say they can test up but most times I do not see that actually happening.. There is another girl in DD grade that is WAY beyond Im talking Min. 3rd grade level work across the board  and about 5th in reading, yet she is still being held in 1st grade.. They had refused to test her up, andso far that child has been acting out towards other kids... I feel bad for these kids.. I remember a few moms(who used to be in Education) at one point told me I couldn't get upset bc I had done to much with my DD at home putting her at a higher level therefor at a disadvantage.. (first time I EVER heard learning was a disadvantage)

Thank You!  that is somewhat true may be she doesnt want to fit in the norm, I understand her point of view to a certain extent, the schools want all the kids to be at the same level I also believe that hurts the children. I dont get much support from the family If anything I feel everyone fights me,,, no one follows my rules when Im not home after school the work doesnt get done, thankfully Ive manage to get a schedule around my daughter. I hope this will make a diffrence.

For instance on Monday: my daughter was supposed to do some work that she didnt get done at school, she didnt bring it home, I sent the teacher a note. in my opinion it shouldve been sent home yesterday to be done. Well NO since she behaved teacher told her that she didnt have to do it. Stuff  like this has made things worst in the past and I see that as one of the problems she can not have any leniency and Ive brough this up to the teachers attention... ugh Im sorry dont meant to complain so much! LOL

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Imsorry your going through this, I do understand how frustrating it is, even though there are differences with our girls it feels like a waste and wash.. I have gotten support from others saying that they think it is just the "classroom" that she will bounce back.. Meaning she Doesnt want to show the teacher or the kids She wants to Fit in to the "norm".. I dont like it but will keep trying.. Best of luck :)

Quoting yalieh0713:

But my daughter is doing the opposite to yours,,, SHE is now refusing to do the work or does it wrong I wish she aske for more wor, I know she knows just like you. When we are doing the homework I do not tell her what to do I let her figure it out which most of the time she knows... Its soooo frustrating! LOL

I set up an appointment for counseling ( which I feel is a waste of money and time) But I want to try and use every resource to get a solution.

Quoting Desirees_mom:

I Know exactly what you are going through.. Mine is in 1st and I have heard the SAME things this year.. her "knowledge" has slipped I was informed that it was due to the summer which is bull bc she is still up to par at home, she does her homework in less than 2 min each night but yet she is bored.. she asks me to come teach her.. she has also told me ohh she doesnt know this work its to hard I couldnt do it at school I said prove it (last year she was reading 2nd grade books) this one time in particular it was a k/1st grade reading book that was giving her "issues" :/ so I said prove it and maybe Ill give you something she read it before I could finish.. saying I would give her a hug...  but her writing has suffered and with the spelling she has asked me countless times when will they get harder words.. I have sent a few notes, but I just try to continue to do things at home when I am well enough.. But my DD Just rushes through it and doesntcare.. they turned around and said she needed tutoring, so shes now in a joke of a tutoring where its word bingo and ipad word games..  a joke but go through the motions.. a kid that had rave reviews from alllll adults about how smart she is is now in tutoring smh.. and biting my tongue.. I have a new goodies prize box that she has to prove herself by taking her time and doing better work bc I KNOW she knows it but she has to show the people at school she knows it..(they just told me she reached a level where she was at mid -end year last year reading wise when shes been reading up a storm and harder books so there is something a mis) Ive been temped to pull her.. The teacher thinks shes trying her best but I know my daughter..Shes there to "play" and see her friends thatsit...Shes told me flat out Shes bored, and doesnt remember what happened at school, and didnt learn anything, but when she comes home she asks to go right for the workbooks I have and other items we have here.. and books to read..

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Thanks!

Quoting Yellowlily333:

I have been in a similar situation. We raised our nephew from when he We had a VERY hard time getting him to learn to focus, and even more than that to WANT to focus. Honestly, we never perfected this-but he was a MILLION times better at paying attention, school work, and behavior issues, than when he first came to us.  We had a good relationship with the school. We stayed ahead of the IEP meetings, volunteered in class A LOT, chaperoned everything, popped in for lunch.  He learned that we were very aware of how he was acting. At any given moment we could pop in and he would be in trouble if he got caught acting up. He learned to want to have his teachers, and us to be happy with his behavior. I am sure you already are involved, but maybe you can be more involved. Seeing you there may help! Good luck, Momma!!

Desirees_mom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I agree, I try not to let it get to me as there are not that many people who share my view...

Quoting yalieh0713:

Please do not get me started on the no child left behind act,,,, I was speaking to a 3rd grade teacher on that subject and she didnt agree with it, it hurts the kids that are advanced. its very  hard as a parent to deal with this kind of stuff and in my opinion the system contradicts it self making it hard for us.

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Quoting yalieh0713:

Quoting Desirees_mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN