Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Son held back

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 35 Replies

My son was held back to 1st grade again this year due to our hard times and moving around last year. This year has been a remarkable improvement from the last, and he has straight A's now. Is there anything I can do to get him back into his correct grade? 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I would talk to the teacher, see what they think about moving him back to the correct grade. Everybody I know that was held back a year stayed behind a year... 

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM

They still held him back for straight A's?? Can you get him to a private school he sounds like a really smart kid, they shouldn't hold him back because you guys were moving around.

Carmalita28
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

He's making straight A's this year. They held him back for last year, but he is doing just fine this year. I'm hoping the teacher would recommend placing him back to his correct grade next year. Which will be 3rd instead of 2nd.

jteffs
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I doubt they will jump him a grade. He's missed all of the work that he would've learned in the second grade.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd be wary of putting him back into his "correct" grade- he will have to work extra hard to learn everything he'll miss by not going to 2nd grade. All skills, esp. math, build on each other. And the work tends to make a big jump in terms of difficultly between 2nd and 3rd gr. For instance, in 2nd gr, they are still working on reading fluency, but in 3rd gr, they are starting to learn to read for specific facts and learning to infer things from their reading (at least they are at my kids' elem school).

Never hurts to ask, though.

Carmalita28
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM

He's reading above 2nd grade according to his teacher. I do understand about missing the other parts of 2nd grade. I have a 3rd grader as well, and I try get my 7 yr old to sit with my 8 yr old when he's learning new things. I will definitely want him to take a test first, and not just jumping him a grade.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Carmalita28:

He's making straight A's this year. They held him back for last year, but he is doing just fine this year. I'm hoping the teacher would recommend placing him back to his correct grade next year. Which will be 3rd instead of 2nd.

He would miss an ENTIRE year of content then... That does not sound like a plan the school would consider.
RatherBeReading
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

In elementary school, an "entire year" is not as drastic as people make it seem, especially if he is a straight A student. See if he can do summer school to catch up and then be tested to move forward. It is worth talking to the teacher/guidance counselor/other official in your school.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

'what does he want to do? I assume he has made friends in his current grade? seems like that might set him off in a negative spin again.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't do or attempt to do this with one of my children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)