Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son was held back to 1st grade again this year due to our hard times and moving around last year. This year has been a remarkable improvement from the last, and he has straight A's now. Is there anything I can do to get him back into his correct grade? 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I would def. ask him what he wants to do he may not want the jump.  This fit might be just right for him and like with my dd some kids/people just rather be the big fish in the little pond than the medium in the big lake.  Also is the age/size difference that big??? I mean is he a huge September/October kid?  Or his his birthday on the other side closer to the cut off date (a May-Aug. birthday) and he fits in size wise???

All these are factors I'd consider first b/f that jump.  And from what I'm experiencing with my ds this year -- 3 rd grade is a BIG difference from even 2nd much less 1st.

iansusie
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I would think if he was held back he was not doing well, last year. Lots of kids who are held back do way better the 2nd time around but that doesn't mean they would have done well in the next grade level. 

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

It is great that he is doing great this year, but that doesn't mean he doesn't need the 2nd grade material. Unless you pull him out and homeschool him intensively for a year, he is never going to be caught back up with his age-appropriate grade. The only way to skip a grade is to be a genius who is also emotionally ready to skip.

Will the world end if he graduates high school at 18/19?

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You can request that he be tested first and see. They will compare his scores to 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders and, usually, if he can compare to 80% or better to 2nd graders, they'll allow the skip. My dd is in 1st this year too and will be skipping 2nd and going to 3rd next year as long as she works on her math fact speed between now and May. She was homeschooled until Oct 23rd of this school year though so she just has a small gap to fill with the fact speed and they're going to tutor her for them along with working with her on the 1st semester math for the 2nd graders and letting her try the 2nd grade 2nd semester math class. Her school works 1-2 grades ahead though especially with the math. 

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If you were moving around last year, then his friends in this school are in his grade.  It will be another year of all new faces for him.  Which is better/worse, being at the top of this grade or the bottom of the grade you think he should be in?

Unless he was a genius, I don't think I would worry about the grade he is/could be in.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
WHY would you want to move him up when he is FINALLY finding some success!? The result would most likely be struggling again. Leave him be.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I wouldn't do it.  Sounds like he is back on track and feeling successful.  DD has a classmate who repeated Kindergarten.  He is ahead in reading too (as is 1/3 of their class), but is not super ahead in other areas.  School is a lot more than reading level.  The writing is a huge difference between grades, as is math.  He will have missed all of multiplication and division!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I would just leave him be in the current grade.  I dont think there is such a stigma anymore of older children being in a lower grade than their age usually is.   Be proud he is excelling this year and that could mean progress for rest of school career.  I would not want to chance ruining that.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Could he do summer school to get caught up?

cocoroo
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I would keep him where he is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)