Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Deadline for birthdays and entry to kindergarten

Posted by   + Show Post

I think it's a little silly to have the deadline for the bdays so early. My daughter is 4, and she won't be 5 until Oct 30th. Therefore, she has to spend another year in preschool. She can already write and spell her name. She is very intelligent for her age. Is there anything I can do to get her into kindergarten this fall? Maybe even private school?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

In our town, you have to be 5 by 9//1 to go to kindergarten and there is no testing to get in early.  Private schools here take kids at 4 years 9 months.  Had I decided to do that with my daughter, I would have had to have her go to private kindergarten and at least a day of first grade so that she could transfer in as a first grader to public school.  I didn't do that because, in my daughter's case, the extra year was beneficial.  My son is a summer birthday; if he was a September or October baby, I would have gone the private route for kindergarten  and the day of first grade because he was already so far ahead and mature than his peers.  

corrinacs
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

The only way would probably be private school.  My son just made the cutoff by a few days LOL.  Andh e's adjusted well.  Lke your child, he was more than ready, and he's still ahead of some of the other children (mostly 5-6yos).  I don't know what we would have done if he had been born later.

Good luck!!!!

kngarber
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Same with both of my girls. It's worked out better though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I work at a private school and we will start a kid early, but they have to be VERY advanced.  The two kids in DD's class were both reading fluently and writing sentences when they were accepted.  A 4.5 year old writing her name is not advanced.  My DD's whole preschool class could write their names when they were 3.  That is typical for that age.  I would not want a child to start K early unless they were already very ahead for their age. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

They have that rule for a reason.   Look into other schools or homeschool her for this year.  Our cut off is aug 30, i think, so many of dd's classmates are older than her.  DD's bday is in march.

k1kelley
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM
In MD, you have to be 5 by Sept. 1st. I don't think they allow early admission, but I don't know for sure.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I'm dealing with this situation as well. Our school district is super stict about it and no longer allows testing.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

My son made the cut off and I still chose to keep him in preschool for another year. There's so many factors that go into be successful in school. Academics is only one, and not even the main one at that age as far as I'm concerned. 

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Oh, and many states that do allow early entry have you do testing.  In NC, a child has to be tested by a liscensed psychologist and score 2 grade levels above across the board to enter early.  That means 99th percentile in everything and would mean your child can read fluently (think Amelia Bedelia), knows all addition and subtraction fluently, can count money, tell time, and can write paragraphs.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM
In NY they have to be 5 before December 1st but I think they're slowly backing it up to like October 1st.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN