Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Deadline for birthdays and entry to kindergarten

Posted by   + Show Post

I think it's a little silly to have the deadline for the bdays so early. My daughter is 4, and she won't be 5 until Oct 30th. Therefore, she has to spend another year in preschool. She can already write and spell her name. She is very intelligent for her age. Is there anything I can do to get her into kindergarten this fall? Maybe even private school?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM

My dd has an Oct birthday too. She won't be the only "older" kid in class. She may have been a little bored in K and 1st b/c she knew the basic skills, but once she got to 2nd and 3rd, it didn't make a difference anymore. She is top of her class academically, and I think her added maturity helps her. Not to mention, she will be among the first to be driving of her friends when she is in HS.

Amanda52007
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Yep.

Ours is Sept 1st

Quoting wakymom:

It is state specific. The cut-off here is 5 before July 1st.

Quoting jteffs:

I think it is state specific. Our laws (I believe) say you must be five on or before 12/31.

Quoting Carmalita28:

Really? Is date different for every state?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Cutoff here is Dec 31 so dd will be turning 6 in.Feb and still in kinder. I'm ok with that,she can always learn something new no matter how much we parents think our kids are genious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Wait.

The rules are there because school is about so much more than intelligence.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

This.  It's worth the wait.  You'll see, there is a HUGE difference between a child that just turned 5 and one who is almost 6.  Why do you think there are so many parents that delay Kindergarten another year when their child barely makes the cutoff date? 

Quoting steelcrazy:

The cut off date varies by state.  In PA, it is Aug 30 and my youngest son turned 5 on Oct 28.  He went to school at 5 and did extremely well.  I didn't even consider fighting for early admission.  He was smart enough for kindergarten by the age of 3, however he wasn't mature enough.

Not to mention that you have to think further down the road than here and now.  How will your child feel when all of her friends are driving nearly a full year, or more, before her.  How about when it is time for college and she is only 17 years old as a freshman?  How will she feel then?  She will always be the last one in her group of peers to be able to do things.

Is there a more challenging preschool option in your area?  I'd do some research on that front as well as seeing about early admission into kindergarten.

I would think long and hard before making any decisions.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

It's about so much MORE than academics.  If I had a dollar for every mother that thinks THEIR child is sooooooo brilliant/gifted at four and the exception to every other up and coming kindergartner, I would be able to retire now.  Just because your child can read, write, and calculate doesn't mean that they are advanced.  It means that they have been soaking up information that you have provided, as they should, but so have millions of OTHERS.  It's done in preschool scenarios EVERY day.  Maturity catches up with the students that start early/skip grades, etc.  eventually. It happens usually in junior high and then it is a downward spiral through high school.  For the academic requirements today, kids really need to be closer to 6 in kindergarten to meet all of the expectations.

keeler_s
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Yep out deadline is August 31

My son didn't turn 5 until October 31
It sucked! Same
With my other son who isn't turn. 5 until October 6.
However I think te extra yr of preschool was a major help because my other son started at 5 and his bday was August 2 and he is way more immature than most kids in his grade he's also the "baby" and he struggles sometimes. I completely regret starting him at 5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleangie
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

The cut off date for our district is September 1.  My son is currently 5 and will not start until next fall.  He is also very bright, but I did not push for him to go to kindergarten because he was not emotionally ready.  I currently teach middle school and see the long term effects of children starting school too early.  I am not saying in all cases, but generally, the maturity can hinder their academics when they get older. If you feel that when they are in school and they are not challenged enough, then request them to be tested for the gifted program.  If you do not agree with my advice, then talk to the elementary teachers and get their input.  Good luck! 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  I then see it at the high school level and many of those same kids have to spend time in summer school, etc.  to graduate on time if they even are able.

Quoting littleangie:

The cut off date for our district is September 1.  My son is currently 5 and will not start until next fall.  He is also very bright, but I did not push for him to go to kindergarten because he was not emotionally ready.  I currently teach middle school and see the long term effects of children starting school too early.  I am not saying in all cases, but generally, the maturity can hinder their academics when they get older. If you feel that when they are in school and they are not challenged enough, then request them to be tested for the gifted program.  If you do not agree with my advice, then talk to the elementary teachers and get their input.  Good luck! 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM

The majority of my HS graduating class were 16 and 17. At 18, I was teased and told that I had an unfair advantage for being older. I have a November birthday and I was in the gt programs and ap classes, etc. With the exception of very few classes, I was bored and didn't have to try to get A's. Every child is different and should be treated individually. Good luck again, OP. 

Quoting mjande4:

Exactly!  I then see it at the high school level and many of those same kids have to spend time in summer school, etc.  to graduate on time if they even are able.

Quoting littleangie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)