Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons birthday is on a Thursday this year and I am debating whether to bring treats to his class. His birthday party is going to be Thursday night so I don't know if I should do something at school or not. It's fun to do but I don't feel like I have to, especially with his party later that day which will definitely have cake or cupcakes. He's in kindergarten btw.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
thebailiffs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I always contact the parents of the kids that have allergies and ask what they can eat and plan it that way so everyone can eat what I bring.  It maybe as simple as watermelons. Or grapes on a stick dressed up like a worm. 

SP_Mama
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM
We take cupcakes for their class on their birthdays.
Rbrown72707
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Our school frowns on treats.  The kids can bring in a book to read to the class or have extra recess.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I'm not sure if they allow home baked goods, from what I can tell so far, they would have to be store bought. 

I really don't like that. I'd prefer to bake my own. My son doesn't really understand birthdays or christmas yet. He doesn't get the 'open presents' or 'this is a treat because ____' 

I don't think I'll be sending in treats for his birthday this year. 

lawh9302
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM

My birthday was right before Christmas and Mom figured that we would have plenty of sweet stuff during that time of year so she would send apples and oranges to school.  Surprisingly, they were a big hit.  Maybe you could send something like apples and oranges instead of cake or cupcakes?

momof3jam
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I'd send him in with cupcakes, or something. Kids find that fun, he gets to share his birthday with his classmates, they get to tell him happy birthday, and everyone has fun. I personally wouldn't have him miss out. DS1's birthday is the day AFTER the last day of school and DD's birthday is over the summer...

DS2 is in February, so he'll be getting treats sent in with him when he's old enough to go to school.

calsmom62
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM
We now have a no food policy but most parents here do goody bags in school now . Before I would send treats and juice.
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

It's up to you.  My 2nd grader had a big party at a bouncy place where most of his classmates attended so I didn't do anything in the classroom for him.  My Kindergartener didn't get a big party like that (I will do it next year for him) so I sent in treats for him to pass out in class.  I did individually wrapped packages of Oreo's.  I also checked with the teacher first and she said Oreo's sounded great.

So my personal philosophy is one or the other.  Next year, I plan for my (then) 3rd grader to just pick one or two close friends and we will take them to Nickelodeon Universe for the day, in lieu of some big party.  So he will probably pass out treats in class.  My (then) 1st grader will likely have a big party with 12 - 20 friends at a place of his choosing so we will likely skip the classroom treats.

That's just the way I like to do it.  I don't think there is a right or wrong here.  I would just suggest, if sending treats to the classroom, check with the teacher to make sure she is ok with it and ok with what you are sending.  I just think it's common courtesy to the teacher.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Our school doesn't allow stuff like that so i dont know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM
When my kids where and for the ones that still are I brought in treets every year. It is a way for the kids to celebrate with there whole class. My older kids miss that! For the kids that have summer birthdays it depends. For my ds who is June and sd July I bring them in the last week of school (sometime ds bday is the last day of school). For sd in August we bring it in the first week of school. Otherwise the day of and if it was a weekend that Friday. And always home made.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)