Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What to expect when you child progress into a different grade?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM
  • 16 Replies

Are you nervous or you want to know what to expect when your child progress into another grade?  Damn I sound like a in commercial. Anyhoo I found this website which honestly has been helpful for me I hope it will be helpful for you.

Click on Subject that is suitable for you and it will direct you to a great article.

Kindegraten Academics What to Expect

First Grade Academics What to Expect

Second Grade Academics What to Expect

Third Grade Academics What to Expect

Fourth Grade Academics What to Expect

Fifth Grade Academics What to Expect

Sixth Grade Academics What to Expect

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
as a homeschooling parent I found this interesting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Ok do i look at my current grade or the grade she is going into next year?

jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM
I will check this out when I get home!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks Janita, this is great information.  I would also encourage parents to check their school's website to see what their curriculum really is.  It is a great way to see if your school really is as advanced as they claim to be.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Lol I'm not nervous by any means but it will be nice to have a heads up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

The only time I was "nervous" was when ds1 went from 2nd to 3rd gr just b/c he had been having trouble catching up to the level his new school was at and I knew the work made a nice jump in difficulty at that point. He did just fine, though, and I haven't worried about the schoolwork aspect since.

I've been more concerned about the social aspects as he moved from elementary to middle school, and about next fall's transition to high school.

I'm more relaxed about ds2's and dd's transitions since I've been through them before w/ ds1.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I wonder what this is based on, as each state varies widely.

Common core will stream line a lot of that (for better or worse), but it has not " hit" my older sons grade yet.

Just curious if this is common core based.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting wakymom:

The only time I was "nervous" was when ds1 went from 2nd to 3rd gr just b/c he had been having trouble catching up to the level his new school was at and I knew the work made a nice jump in difficulty at that point. He did just fine, though, and I haven't worried about the schoolwork aspect since.

I've been more concerned about the social aspects as he moved from elementary to middle school, and about next fall's transition to high school.

I'm more relaxed about ds2's and dd's transitions since I've been through them before w/ ds1. 

That last statement, that's totally how it was for me too.  Right now my 2 kids are in 2nd and K.  When my oldest was going into K I was so nervous and soaking up every bit of info I could.  When my youngest went it felt like a cakewalk.  I'm sure next year will be the same except I'm a little worried about yougest going into 1st grade because he's struggling with social issues right now and also with following directions when he's been given them.  I know 1st grade won't be as forgiving as K.

I think I'll still be more nervous for oldest going into 3rd next year.  I've heard that before 3rd grade they learn to read.  After that they read to learn.  DS is doing fine on his reading level but it's that switch-over that still makes me a bit nervous.  I'm sure it will be fine though.

As to OP's point, my school is good about doing a curriculum overview for the parents.  The teachers put together a presentation for all the parents one evening and then answer any questions the parents may have.  That way the parents know what their child will be learning during the year.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I haven't been concerned with my boys yet. Not in the academic part. I was very concerned about ds2 behavior wise going from Kinder last year to first. He surprised me though settled right down.

janitablue
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I would recommend that you do both .I have always feel it important to be ahead of the game.............

Quoting frndlyfn:

Ok do i look at my current grade or the grade she is going into next year?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN