Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Primary to elementary?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 11 Replies
Anyone else's schools like this? Ds attends Murfreesboro City SD and a lot of their elementary schools are like this. Primary is K-2 and the he moves across the street to the elementary with is 3-6. I've never seen this in California so curious how common it is. I like it because its a smaller staff to student ratio and the don't start a full dress code until 3rd grade (no jeans and a solid polo shirt).
TIA!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Mine wasn't in FL, NC, or here in CO. She just started kinder this year and her school goes k-8 but its a charter school. The others around here are k-5.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

We do not do that around here. We use to have a all Kindergarten school but they closed it and moved kinder into the other schools.

We go Pre-k to 5th in elementary, 6-8th in Middle and 9-12 in high school.

jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM
That's how I grew up but my sons schools are different. He went to kindergarten at one school last year. He's at a different school this year for 1st and 2nd next year. Then 3rd and 4th will be a different school as for 5th and 6th.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Our school is prek-1 then 2-5... But it is the only school in the district like that. The other 2 elm schools are prek-6th. Our primary was built for a large baby boom in the community 7yrs ago :) it was finished just in time for them to attend k .. 2.5yr ago :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

It isn't that way at any of the schools around me.  Most are either k-5, 6-8, and 9-12 or k-6 and 7-12 depending on the district.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I think every district is different based on available space and current needs.  There is a neighboring district to me that seems to change things up every year because of needs and space and because the area is growing so fast.

In my district, the elem schools are K-5, then middle is 6-8 and high is 9-12.  My kids go to a private school which is K-8 with roughly 45 students per grade (usually two classrooms per grade in K-4).

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Yep it tends to vary depending on available space and needs. Our system is pre-k thru 3rd, 4-5, 6-8, 9-12. At one point it was pre-k thru 5, 6-8, 9-12 but when the new high school was built they moved 4-5 to part of the old high school because the elementary school was overcrowded. We are building a new school now that will house ore-k thru 8 but 6-8 will run separate from the elementary school. We'll be right beside the high school. It should be nice to have us all together.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Our district isn't like that but one near us is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
There are a couple of nearby towns here in MA that do this. It's more about building space and cost and less about educational theory here.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I'm in CA so no.  My elementary school started as a k-8th then they opened a jr high for this end of the county.  My friend's school was a k-4th then 5-8th was middle school.  My son's school is k-12th but it's a charter homeschool.  Sometimes there's kindergarteners and 12th graders in the same workshop but it's not a huge deal there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN