Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

fundraisers-ideas, not a debate

Posted by   + Show Post
I am looking for ideas for fundraisers for my sons' school. We have done the traditional catalogs of "junk" and did OK, but everyone is tired of buying stuff. What does your child's school do? I am looking for creative ideas that will bring in a decent chunk of money, we are raising money for new playground equipment. I would like this post to be about ideas, not a debate about fundraising. Thanks for the help and ideas!
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
k1kelley
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Ours did a candy sale and junk catalog sale this past fall. This spring they will be doing an artwork type fundraiser.

gilbertgrl627
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Bumping because I'm looking for ideas, too.

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

our walk a thon is very successful.  I suggest partnering with local businesses as well.   Our kids got a shirt each year etc.  They spent part of their day walking around the playground or field (depended on the school)

Endeed
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Each year our town hosts Art in the Park and the PTO had a booth selling turkey legs and parents volunteered to help sell.  It was great fun, I volunteered too! The local tv news always uses it in their promo so we got a little extra exposure.  I don't know how much was raised but I'd guess it was close to ten grand for three days. But it was like the fifth year of doing it so they have built a customer base so to speak.

Now the kids are selling cheesecake orders... I really don't support that just because it's so unhealthy.  IDK maybe turkey legs are bad for you too?

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Our PTA has done a cookie dough fundraiser the last two years and that's brought in $5K-7K both times (that was our profit, not the total sales!)  We've also done a carnival the last two years and while I've not heard the final numbers it's been a couple of thousand profit each time.  Both fundraisers have just surprised the heck out of the PTO and myself because it's a very low-income school (Title 1 or something--everyone receives free lunch and breakfast).

As for the idea of finding someone with grant-writing skills--ask the principal and other administrators too because ours knew that one of our teachers was good at that; something we didn't know.

countrymomma81
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The schools around here are big on cook offs. It takes a while to plan, but they usually bring in a good big of money. 

Or any time there is an event at the school, do a 50/50. 

calsmom62
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Send in 20.00 to not have to sell or buy anything.........raffle off numbered golfballs , to be dropped by a cherry picker. If your number is closest to the X on the ground you win .....could be 50/50 raffle or a substantial prize. Kids pay 10.00 to rollerblade in yhe halls after school with principal. Could be run multiple times in a year with different themes. Pizza party with principal, movie and popcorn after school.....buy a brick with your familys name for the playground walkway......drinks and apps with silent auction or an 80s dance night with the silent auction.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM
We do this for wrestling!

Quoting goddess99:

You could send home a note explaining what you need the money for and instead of selling, you'd like donations.

We also did "butcher fundraisers" where all we sold was meat from a local butcher. Very Popular!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

We had a daddy/daughter dance last year that did pretty well. We charged 5 dollars per couple and sold picture packs and corsages. This year we held our first santa shop it did surprisingly well close to 1000 dollars we were only expecting a couple hundred.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quoting Christine0813:

Bake sale? Sorry, that is all I can think of.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)