Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

fundraisers-ideas, not a debate

Posted by   + Show Post
I am looking for ideas for fundraisers for my sons' school. We have done the traditional catalogs of "junk" and did OK, but everyone is tired of buying stuff. What does your child's school do? I am looking for creative ideas that will bring in a decent chunk of money, we are raising money for new playground equipment. I would like this post to be about ideas, not a debate about fundraising. Thanks for the help and ideas!
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you checked out "Boosterthon.com"? 

HUGE fundraiser!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Yankee Candle Company does a fund raiser. It's a quick way to make $ and the products are good quality. The great thing is that Yankee Candle boxes each kid's stuff separately so no one at the school has to sort anything but group each child's boxes together.

Our FBI (Families Being Involved) does a snack sale every Friday.

We do Hat Day every Friday. Kids pay $1 to wear a hat to school all day.

School Night at various restaurants as someone else mentioned- getting the restaurant to give a percentage of sales to the school and the school sends home fliers telling what restaurant and what night to go eat there.

Coke sales do well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM

A jog-a-thon, jump rope-a-thon, read-a-thon, a direct donation drive, spirit wear, or community support - most local businesses and just about every chain there is offer fundraising opportunities. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Penny wars usually bring in easy money
Macksmom2006
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM

We did 31 bags, I ran it for the class and they got 25% back... Yankee candle, restaurants, we also did school wide penny drive that raised $2k

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

xoxochrismskye
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM

What my daughter's old school used to do is this.  To avoid having to have to sell the catalog junk was the school organized a fund raiser dinner once a year and all the students were required to participate.  Each class was assigned a category...sides. meats, desserts, drinks etc and then tickets were sold to the sitdown dinner for $25/pp.  With that dinner alone, the school made enough money to not have to do any fundraisers throughout the year.  If you couldn't make the dinner, you could purchase a box meal instead at a reduced price.  It was a great way also for the community to get together to support the kids without having to by useless things.

heidi749
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

My DS school sales Calender's in the month of January, for the following year.They also sale cheese in April, for there fundraising.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Try researching boosterthon fun run. My dd's school did this at the beginning of the year and I believe the school earned over 20K! The way it works is every student, regardless of how much money he/she raises, participates. The students get sponsors to give so much money per lap up to 35 laps, or sponsors can donate a flat fee. All week long the Boosterthon people come to the school and do fun things with the kids, and on Friday, every student receives a T-shirt and attempts to run the 35 laps. My dd is in kinder and ran 27 as they are small laps. Once the Boosterthon is over, the kids collect the money from their sponsors. The kids also earn prizes based on how much they earn. The best part about the fundraiser is, even kids that don't raise money still get a t-shirt and still get to participate.

Boosterthon is my favorite fundraiser because I don't have to sell a bunch of crap people don't want and all the kids love it! The profit margin is also much higher than the selling of wrapping paper.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We do a craft show. We charged 30.00 a table and if the vendor commited to 2 years the got both years for $50.00 . Then each vendor donated something with all their info included to our raffle and we sold raffle tickets . We made a good amount of money. As a bonus admittance was one item to be sent over seas to our men and women serving our country.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've never seen a debate on fundraising, but what ever.  *shrugs*

We sell bulbs www.dutchbulbs.com in both the fall and spring.  We also have a monthly pretzel sale from the Philly Pretzel Factory and make 75% profit.  We take preorders from the students 3 mornings during the month and then deliver the hot pretzels to their classrooms on a Friday afternoon.  For Valentine's Day, we got a local chocolatier to donate chocolate hearts to us and we are selling Candy Grams for $1, obviousy this is pure profit.

I agree with the grant writing suggestion.  I'm not sure if you have begun to price out playground equipment or not, but it is typically $30,000+.  Our district was supposed to put in a new playground along with a building remodel last summer.  Due to the economy it was put on hold indefinately.  Our PTA looked into redoing the playground and decided against it since it would most likely take us 20-25 years to raise that kind of money.

Another suggestion would be to write letters to local businesses asking them for a donation.  If you are raising the money through an actual PTA, the donation would be tax deductable since PTA is a non-profit charity and registered as such with the IRS.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
What about a scentsy fundraiser. I don't know how it works I know our school did one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN