Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fundraisers-ideas, not a debate

Posted by   + Show Post
I am looking for ideas for fundraisers for my sons' school. We have done the traditional catalogs of "junk" and did OK, but everyone is tired of buying stuff. What does your child's school do? I am looking for creative ideas that will bring in a decent chunk of money, we are raising money for new playground equipment. I would like this post to be about ideas, not a debate about fundraising. Thanks for the help and ideas!
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh oh our school
Rented a dunk tank and let the kids but tickets to dunk the principal
And various teachers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Ask for donations for a "bag 'o fun" or themed baskets. Set a $$$ minimum and stick in a note with the empty dollar store gift bags with suggestions. Families can fill them, and the kids can sell raffle tickets for them. Bags could have a box of microwave popcorn, with different seasonings, like a jar of grated cheese, a small jar of garlic powder, a bag of caramel sauce, etc. or hand lotion and sanitizer, tissues, a small loofa, scented soaps. One with candles, have the teacher ask the class to brainstorm and write down their suggestions, form teams, decorate the bags,? :-)

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

How about Scrip? (www.glsscrip.com/ shopwithscrip.com)

Basically what you do is sign up the school (the PTO/PTA may have to do this), parents (family, staff, anyone) go to the site and buy gift cards from them and the school gets a percentage anywhere from 2% to 10% I believe.

I know a mom whose school does it and she buys g/c's to the grocery store from them. You NEED groceries, does it matter how you pay for them? And it's dollar for dollar, a $25 g/c is $25, the school gets a percentage of that.

We looked into doing it for my youngest kiddo's school but we don't have any issues with getting money, if anything we have too much money.

Another one that's HUGE successful at our school is Silver Graphics, parents order products with their child's artwork on it, we get a percentage of the sales. This year we're having an Art Show so that the parents can pick the artwork they want. In years past we just sent in a project that all the students did and you liked it or not. We hope we'll get more sales this year by letting the parents pick. We usually make quite a bit from it.

Good Luck!!

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM

They do this at my oldest dd's school! I'm ALWAYS happy to get rid of pennies for it, I hate pennies! LOL.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Penny wars usually bring in easy money

Hectictracy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
At our school they do a few small carnivals each year.They also do hat day, the kids bring in one dollar and they can wear their hat all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Our Fundraisers are: 

Lifetouch, you make money off picture day.

T-Shirt Sales, we don't make a lot of money on this, because we don't WANT to, we want the kids to have spirit wear.

Book Fairs, we make a little bit from them, more importantly the scholastic points and dollars allow us to pay for the Scholastic News for the whole school and to get each student a new book twice a year (Christmas and Spring Break).

Spring market place (or similar), it's a catalog sales company, the stuff is priced great and is really nice, this has been a hit everytime.

Smencils/Candy Grams: don't make a lot but the kids love it, well worth doing. We do it at Halloween, Christmas, and Valentines.

Silver Graphics, this one is a HUGE success every time. 

Holiday Shoppe: we really don't make a lot on this because we do it for the kids, not to make money but you CAN earn a lot doing it.

In the past they did Krispy Kreme sales, it wasn't that good. I'm not paying $7 for donuts I can get for $3.50 at the store, most parents felt that way, so we don't do it anymore.

One I'm going to try to do for next year is selling school supply packs. Instead of having to run around buying all the supplies on the list you can buy them done already and delivered to your child's class on the first day for a flat rate. I'd totally do it, I HATE school supply shopping.

There are others but I can't brain today.

yalieh0713
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

At my kids school we have a dressdown day and we sell dress down passes Good for a few days out of the month( but they use uniforms).

SueMNanaMama
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Ours sells Jamba Juice (they send the drinks, usually two choices, and a staff person who does the selling), every Friday.  I don't know what percentage of the sales goes to the school, but I do know some of it does.  We have a skate night every couple of months, and some of that goes to the PTA.  The PTA did raise money for the upper grade playground with various fundraisers (and just flat-out requests for donations!).  A lot of people would rather just donate money than buy junk!

OHgirlinCA
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

50/50 raffle.  The winner gets half of the money collected, and the other half goes to the cause.

gracie0221
by Gracie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

our school does-
book fairs several times a year
cookie and ice cream(during the hotter months)selling.
dinning in restaurants. they do it about every other month.
there's another one but I can't remember right now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)