Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it normal *added info*

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 16 Replies

for a 5 year old to complain they can't read something because the words are too small? he can read it in larger print but has a really hard time with smaller print like you see in most chapter books.

*added info*

He went to an optometrist at 2 years who said he needed reading glasses and he had tracking and convergence problems.  They gave him until he was 4 to outgrow the tracking and convergence.  At 4 he went back and they prescribed stronger reading glasses and said he still had the problem.  I couldn't afford the $600 evaluation for tracking and convergence so we had his vision evaluated through the school system.  They said his tracking and convergence was fine and he didn't need glasses.  Then he went to his doctor where he miserably failed an eye exam for distance.  Called his insurance and they approved another eye visit for him.  He went to another optometrist who said his eyes were fine and he didn't need glasses or have a tracking/convergence issue.  Next visit to his doctor she asked about it and I told her this whole story so she referred him to a pediatric opthomologist who said his eyes are perfect.

So that's why I'm not really wanting to take him for another eye exam.  I was just wondering if this is typical of 5 year olds.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Maybe get his eyes tested?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM
they have been.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Maybe get his eyes tested?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Completely normal.  Little kids' eyes aren't able to read small text easily.  I am not sure about the science behind it, but it takes time for them to be able to do that, even if they are capable of reading the words.  They also can't track that many words on a page or that close together.  While DD was a fabulous reader at age 5, she had trouble tracking words in an easy chapter book.  A few months later she can suddenly handle it easily.

MmeAustin
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM

It might be harder for him to recognize the letters with a smaller print. My son, who is also five, does the same thing. :)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I would get his eyes tested just to be sure.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Sounds like it is normal.   DD needed glasses though so once she got her glasses she was able to see the smaller print.  Once in awhile the letters are still small for us so we have to pull out a magnifying glass.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Mine said the same thing and was tested and had a slight difference, got glasses and he refuses to wear them but I made him a couple weeks at home and now he does pretty good without them. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Thanks ladies.  His eyes have been tested so I was trying to figure out what the problem was.  Nice to know it's normal :)

Christine0813
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I'm not a Dr., but IMO it doesn't seem normal. I suggest taking your child to an Ophthalmologist, not an Optometrist.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I do know I research that it can be related to a tracking problem as well.... If you want to look more into it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)