Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

New to this group... Having troubles with my 5 year old still bed wetting!!! HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 23 Replies

So a little bit of background... I have a 5 year old in kindergarten and a 4 year old. They are 19 months apart. I did not want two in diapers so I trained the older one at 18 months! However after his father and I broke up when he was about two he started bed wetting. He was going on and off from wetting the bed but now its been about 6 months straight and he is still wet ever night!!! No accidents during the day at all. 

I was buying pull ups but they are just pointless in my opinion. Then I was getting up in the middle of the night to wake him but even that seemed pointless his bed was still wet in the morning. 

Yes I have tired everything they say to do. Limit drinks, set alarm, blah blah. Any advice is welcome please let me know if anyone else has this problem and a solution!!! 

My 4 year old does not have a problem though. Also Yes, I have done my research about this. It may not be his fault. But any advice please pass this way!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM

It could be that his body just is not ready.  Some kids, especially boys, take much longer to get the hang of waking to use the potty.  My 6 yo just recently started going to bed in underwear, and does good most nights, but still has occasional accidents.  My 8yo still wears pull-ups and everything we've tried has failed.

Did he have a period of time where he was staying dry every single night?  If so, it might be more emotional than physical.

If you don't like the idea of pull-ups, have you tried the Goodnights bed-wetting mats?  It's an absorbent mat that sticks to the sheet and if he has an accident will keep his sheet and bed dry.  His jammies will still be wet so he'll still have that sensation of wetness that pull-ups take away.  You could try that if you think it would help.

There is also a medication for bedwetting that you could ask your doctor about.  It's called desmopressin.  Our bodies create a hormone that causes the kidney's, during sleep, to concentrate the urine and not produce so much of it.  Really young bodies don't create this hormone yet.  Some kids bodies naturally don't create it until they are 8, 10 or even 12 years old.  This medication basically does what the hormone does - concentrate the urine so there isn't so much in the bladder overnight.  I've known of a lot of parents to have great success with this medication and potential side affects are extremely low.  You could ask your doctor about it.  I'm not sure if 5 yo is too young for it or not.  Your dr would have to make that determination.

Otherwise, you may just simply have to wait it out.  We can't always force these things on our own timelines.  They happen when they happen.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Was he staying dry at night before if so it does not sound physical I would talk to a psychologist...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

A lot of 5 year olds wet the bed.  My son does.

JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM
I would talk to your pediatrician
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Talk to your doctor because it sounds like it could be pyschological.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM

First, welcome!  

family in the van   Mom of four

maidjillian
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM

When you find out, let me know!  My 6 yr old still wets the bed.  I wake him every night at 11pm to make him go to the toilet.  If I do that, he's fine until morning.  I don't know what it is either.  I know he's a heavy sleeper.  His doctor says it's not really an issue until they are 8!  I know!  But, I don't make a big deal out of it, I know he'll stop someday....

Hatred4none
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I've seen that in a couple of kids, my brother and our younger cousin. They both didn't eat very well. We need food to help absorb liquids better and slower. He may not be eating a balanced diet, causing him to pee frequently. Less balanced diet might also contribute to sleeping heavier because if of your lacking an essential vitamin it may tire you out faster. I can say my son can live off of bites to eat and juice and milk if I didn't force him to sit down and eat a full meal. And he's 3, when he doesn't eat right, he will definitely wet his pull ups when he sleeps. But when he's eaten right his pull up will always be dry no matter how much he's drunk before going to bed, and he drinks a lot before bed ( a glass of milk and a glass of water, he insists)

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM

My DD was 9 when she stopped wetting at night. Nothing you can do but wait it out. have him help you clean it up. It's just a growing thing

CrystalDawn2506
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Like a PP said you can use an absorbent sheet or the good night ones to help lighten the load a bit till you get it figured out. I know that boys tend to take longer potty training so this might be a regression of sorts . My DD didn't potty train fully till she was 4 but she was born with low muscle tone so the muscles there weren't mature enough till then.Plus she was stubborn but liked learning how to potty crazy kid lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN