Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

BS!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

I know a lot of this might repeat an earlier post from me so I am sorry but I am frustrated. My son got a letter last week that he will be doing a county tutoring program 30 minutes a day one on one with a parapro. Fine and dandy except he is also going to EIP, a reading coach an in home tutor that he gets 2X a week. I thought it was just himbut his twin got the same letter today. I guess extra help can't hurt but if they are being pulled out so much they are missing out on other classroom stuff. Not to mention confusing having them in and out of the class and going to so many different teachers. IDK howI feel about it and yet I think my concerns are falling on deaf ears. haven't heard back from the other teacher and the one teacher said she would be happy to talk with me about what is going on there. NEXT week! UGH i don't get it. To me there reading is fine. I have the read the assigned material and they are able to retell the story and give beginning middle and end,characters, main idea and all that jazz. WTF am i missing. They also do well on comprehension tests, sight workds etc. Does it sound a little overboard.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

BUMP!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I've never heard about a parent being upset by their child getting too much help. 

It's not uncommon for parents to think their child's skills are fine when the expectations at school are just higher than the parents think they are.  I don't know why the school would waste resources trying to help them unless there was some indication they needed it. 

Send an email or call and ask to talk to the principal if the teachers won't return your calls. 

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

BUMP!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

You aren't going to like my reply either, I agree with Max.

You do realize that in this day and age there is a strong emphasis put on reading and math in schools, right?  So even if they are just a little behind, the school is going to do everything that they can to get them at or above grade level.  The money that schools receive from the government is based on reading and math test scores, and having too many kids below grade level (even if it is just a little bit) has an impact on the school's funding (meaning less money that they have to spend next school year).

Do you have them do any reading other than what is sent home from school as homework?  If not, step it up.  They should be reading every single day above and beyond the little books that they get for homework.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Quoting steelcrazy:

You aren't going to like my reply either, I agree with Max.

You do realize that in this day and age there is a strong emphasis put on reading and math in schools, right?  So even if they are just a little behind, the school is going to do everything that they can to get them at or above grade level.  The money that schools receive from the government is based on reading and math test scores, and having too many kids below grade level (even if it is just a little bit) has an impact on the school's funding (meaning less money that they have to spend next school year).

Do you have them do any reading other than what is sent home from school as homework?  If not, step it up.  They should be reading every single day above and beyond the little books that they get for homework.

No The replies make sense and I know what the schools are trying to do. I just feel like nobody understands how I feel like disrupting their day by having them in and out of class negatively impacts them as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)