Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten reading level

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 28 Replies
I was wondering what reading level your K child is at mid year. My son is at level 2-3, and his teacher says he is on target with everyone else!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

It sounds like they use the DRA reading levels. Here is a chart that shows you what levels they *should* be at for each grade. 

ambercates
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Thanks!

Quoting JeremysMom:

It sounds like they use the DRA reading levels. Here is a chart that shows you what levels they *should* be at for each grade. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Dd is in 1st grade and her school uses the guided reading scale on the chart and her leisure books range from a level M-U. Ds we are not sure about because he doesn't like to show what he knows, he's only 4.5 now though. 

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was just tested, and the teacher sent home a level 4 book. She read it to me with only a few pauses while she tried to figure out the harder word on each page.
othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was reading low 1st grade level books, but she went through 2 1/2 years of preschool. My son I don't remember for sure, but I know since then he has been above level for reading

Christy78
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Quoting JeremysMom:

MY 10 and 7 yr old kids is last Elem School use this    but they called it AR reading

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My DDS school uses scholastic levels. I use lexile and Fountas and Pinnel.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM

In mid kindergarten DD was at a level 12, but she is a very strong reader.  At our school, they want kids at 4-6 when they leave kindergarten and 16-18 when they leave 1st grade.  She is already at level 24-28 in 1st grade.

ambercates
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Wow! That is awesome! DS is more of math guy!

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

In mid kindergarten DD was at a level 12, but she is a very strong reader.  At our school, they want kids at 4-6 when they leave kindergarten and 16-18 when they leave 1st grade.  She is already at level 24-28 in 1st grade.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Thanks!  She loves to read and loves school in general.  And you may be surprised.  DD had several friends who jumped a ton in reading at the end of K.  Sometimes it just clicks.  Also, at our school, they just read a lot more in 1st grade than in Kindy.  Our kindy was still center based and had 2 recess times (which I loved!). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)