Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I was wondering what reading level your K child is at mid year. My son is at level 2-3, and his teacher says he is on target with everyone else!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I have no clue what level my son is at.  He's in kindergarten and is currently reading the Flat Stanley chapter book to me.

renijazzysmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM
My kinder reads at level M
IloveNCIS
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

When my son was in kindergarten he was reading at a 1st grade reading level. He is now in first grade and is reading at a 3rd grade level.

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Mine's reading at a second grade level.  I think that she's advanced though.  I don't know what level 2-3 is.  DD is able to read chapter books.  She can read whatever she wants at this point.

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I just looked it up. Flat Stanley is at lexile level 640L
jen7232
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I don't know, mine hasn't been tested. To my knowledge they are not testing reading levels in kindergarten at his school. But, he can read most of the kid books we have around here.

Allisonc7910
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I have no idea my dd's school doesn't do levels, at least that I am aware of.  She is reading to me many different books though.

CrystalDawn2506
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I have no clue what reading level DD is at. But they are all doing what is called repeated reading ( Parent reads , then child repeats what parent read to them). DD knows the,is,in,to,into,his,her,him,she,a,and,it so far on her own. Her reading home work did consist of the repeat reading, drawing a picture for a couple of months. Now its repeat reading, drawing and writing a sentence.DD only knows how to spell yellow independently. They just started reading homework only a couple months ago literally so I am thinking the spelling will help them to read better/quicker idk. DD's books are letters A-Z its about things that start with said letter then it has two paragraphs about all of the things in the book. But very impressed that my DD has the finger spacing thing down when she writes lol too cute.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM
My son is in Kindergarten & reads at an 'end of 1st grade' level. My daughter is in 1st grade and reads at a 'beginning of 3rd grade' level. I think her teacher is a little off, since DD has been reading Harry Potter at home lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Not sure what his reading level is in K.  Teacher never told us the exact score and we never asked at the P/T conference.  We gauge his abilities against his sisters' when they were his age.  People say boys are less advanced than girls in K but he seems to be strong with his academics, particularly in the mathematical and critical thinking areas.  He is just so shy that we are concentrating on social skills this year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)