Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I was wondering what reading level your K child is at mid year. My son is at level 2-3, and his teacher says he is on target with everyone else!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Replies (21-28):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

It varies widely ;) In a natural child led enviroment a child can start to read as early as 3 or 4, but as late as 10 yrs old, and be "normal." Public schools push it. 

I don't know where my kindergartener currently is. Report card comes out on Friday. I do know that he is in the highest reading group in his class. 

corrinacs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I have no idea!  I know we get report cards in teh enxt week or so.  I don't know what each level is, perse.  He can sound out most words that are soundoutable.  He knows quite a few sight words as well.  He's also good at paradigms, like "ght" is just "t"...that sort of thing.

So, we will see shortly :).  I wish I had more time to work on his sight words with him......I work full time with a 2-3 hour commute each day.....I'm struggling to feed my kid something nutricious most days :/.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

My son is in the second grade and is reading on a 4th grade level, in 1st he was at a high 3rd grade level.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Wow! It is amazing to see how well many of your kindergartners are doing in reading! DD's school requires students to be on a level C at the end of kindergarten, and DD is at a level D.

ambercates
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM
He also reads level C books, so I'm assuming level 3 and C are similar! DS school uses both! I teach pre-k so the K reading levels at DS school are different than they are at my school!

Quoting Tara922c:

Wow! It is amazing to see how well many of your kindergartners are doing in reading! DD's school requires students to be on a level C at the end of kindergarten, and DD is at a level D.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM
DD was at an H at the end of K last year. Im not sure where she is now. DS struggles with reading. He is around an N or O in 4th grade right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Level 3 is like a low C and a level 4 is a high C. Sounds like your son is right above grade level! 

Quoting ambercates:

He also reads level C books, so I'm assuming level 3 and C are similar! DS school uses both! I teach pre-k so the K reading levels at DS school are different than they are at my school!

Quoting Tara922c:

corrinacs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I was kind of wondering about this ,but I don't know how to tell. His teacher says he's on target.  For mid-year Kindergarten, where should he be?  Does anyone have an expample of that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN