Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Sleep walking

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM
  • 18 Replies
My dd (almost 7) has been having sleep walking episodes, twice last night and a few times before. Definitely creepy. Anyone with experience and suggestions? Is this something I should take her to the Pedi about?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds2 used to sleep walk on occasion, and I did when I was little. I would wander back to bed on my own. With ds2, we'd take him to the bathrm (he would occasionally wet the bed) then guide him back to bed. You can mention it to her dr, but I'd just stick w/ guiding her back to bed.

ProudMommy51006
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Yea dh did when he was her age, he remembers waking up in different places. K i will guide her back to bed.

Quoting wakymom:

Ds2 used to sleep walk on occasion, and I did when I was little. I would wander back to bed on my own. With ds2, we'd take him to the bathrm (he would occasionally wet the bed) then guide him back to bed. You can mention it to her dr, but I'd just stick w/ guiding her back to bed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
k1kelley
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I slept walked as a child and still do! My DS who is 16 occasionally sleep walks but so far my DD who is 6 hasn't yet. But yeah just guide her back to her room. You might try putting an alarm of some kind on any outside doors just in case. I used to always try to get outside.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Both my boys do it... They end up in some weird places sleeping! We gave chain licks up high on all outside doors. They usually never wake me up though I just notice funny things in the am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
urbpro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My son used to sleepwalk all the time but it has dwindled down to a couple of times a year now. I just guide him back to bed. We keep all outside doors locked but all inside doors open because when he was about 5 he got up and RAN face first into the door from the hall into the living room. He had never run before and hasn't since so idk what that was about, lol!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has a friend that used to sleep walk and had night terrors. I know that they did talk to the doctor about it.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has been sleep walking since he was 5 and when he sleep walks he pees on everything. I didn't get concerned just because his dad used to do the same thing. My suggestion always make sure the doors are locked..I even have a lock placed at the top of the door, If you become real concerned about him wondering outside I have placed alarms on all the doors that go off when they are open. I do this only because my son has gone outside twice while sleep walking and it scared me a lot. Usually though he just wonders around the house I try to guide him towards the bathroom just cuz I know he is going to pee on something so I hope to get it in the toilet however, it doesn't always work. He will usually end up back in bed by himself or on the couch.

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My son used to sleep walk also. I would just tell him to go back to bed. He never really went anywhere except the living room and my room.

BannerElkHogans
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

we had that a few times this yr we don't wake her up - doc says scaring an all that to wake up is unnecessary so we gently turn her shoulder's an guide her back to bed.......also went to another doctor who says this (Sleeping Walking) is normal in kids with higher iq's with an over active imagination- because their acting it out in their dreams or because the dreams make them act it out .......he did say that it comes an goes in bout's an it's usually a trigger to stress, the child being worried,tense,etc.......hope that helps .......we added a TV on the weather channel to her room as back ground noise an she's not sleep walking like she was last yr ....now its every once in awhile

janitablue
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never experience sleep walking but I would keep a daily log if it become excessive I would recommend that  you see a pediatrician.

I found interest article on Sleepwalking . Click on Sleepingwalking I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN