Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I need ideas mommas! Edited!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 13 Replies

so we move in about a month.  we have changed our moving system a little, dh is gonna drive the truck and me, the dd and the ferret are gonna go in the car.  Its gonna take us about 3 days with the route we are taking. 

Heres what I need:

1) snack ideas (we have an old picnic basket we are going to use for food.  

2) entertainment ideas (we don't have a lot of money and we don't have a portable dvd player)  I'm thinking books, but i don't want to make dd car sick.  She can also ride with daddy in the truck too.

Edit:

So i decided to make a list of fun things to look for, i'm putting it into word and putting a picture by each discription so dd knows what to look for and i'm gonna give one to each family member, yes even dad.  Dh and i got 4 on there, christmas lights, a vw bug in the colors of the rainbow + black and brown, a butterfly and a puppy, bvt we need more than 4, anyone else know what to look for that is kinda off the wall?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Dolls, small toys, you can also play some driving games ( plate game, etc.).

jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Snack ideas: pretzels gold fish fruit snacks teddy grahams. All things like that. If you take a cooler with ice they have applesauce packets and can pack juice boxes in there as well.

When we drove to Florida from NJ I bought my boys little activity books. ( check dollar stores for small activity sets meant for on the go ).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

For snacks I would do things like grapes, carrot sticks, string cheese, gold fish crackers and apples.

For entertainment color and puzzle books are great. You can get big ones at the dollar store. They also have those mini travel games there for around $3.

janitablue
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Click on Road trip games

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Make a list of objects to find with pictures next to them. Have her see how many she can find before you reach your destination. Put crazy things on it like Christmas lights or a bear. Trust me they will find it one way or another. If you are staying in hotels on the way spend the extra few to get one with a pool. This gives the kids time to get out energy from sitting all day. Coloring books and crayons. A few dolls or stuffed animals. If you have one of those tray tops bring that and some silly puddy makes less mess than play dough. 

When we did a big roar trip last winter we made up a few dozen hard boiled eggs. This saved us from stopping for breakfast or if it was getting late it would hold the kids over for a late dinner. I made a Chex mix and popped a lot of popcorn to bring. We had apples and bananas. Lots of juice boxes and water. Have a stash of candy or some other treat you don't have often. Don't let the kids know about it but on day two when they are going stir crazy bring out the M&Ms. Stickers. 

And stickers tons of stickers with a note book to put them in. Have fun

BKozICan
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM

In addition to carb-y snacks, throw in a protein/fat like nuts or seeds,  string cheeses to keep a little more full longer. Steer clear of too much fruit, especially dried, or someone will get the runs on the road.

shadowspirit07
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Could you use carsick meds for your daughter? Or maybe crackers to settle her stomach if she starts to get car sick? What about puzzle books (dollar store) or a deck of cards that you can use to play simple games (go fish, war, etc)? As far as snacks, what about pretzels, trail mix, dry cereal, popcorn, carrots, apples, peanut butter, cheese whiz (doesn't need refrigerated...I think, you'll want to check)? How old is your daughter?

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

she is 6.  my friend is a nurse at a hospital so she gave us a bunch of those throwup things they give you if you are throwing up, so i'm not as worried about it, and if she gets car sick she can ride with daddy in the moving truck where she can sit up front and see around and stuff

Quoting shadowspirit07:

Could you use carsick meds for your daughter? Or maybe crackers to settle her stomach if she starts to get car sick? What about puzzle books (dollar store) or a deck of cards that you can use to play simple games (go fish, war, etc)? As far as snacks, what about pretzels, trail mix, dry cereal, popcorn, carrots, apples, peanut butter, cheese whiz (doesn't need refrigerated...I think, you'll want to check)? How old is your daughter?

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
You can also find children,s books on tape...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Oh and wrap a few things it makes it so much funner. And talk - get some questions you have been wanting to find time to talk about. Even some games like rights, wrongs and reasons, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)