Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is a typical after school routine ?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM
  • 19 Replies

My son is in aftercare program when he arrives home I let him unwind. He usually plays games, go online or watch TV.  I checks his homework and go over his planner. We usually have dinner around 7 and he is in bed by 9pm. What is a typical after school routine?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We pick Caden up straight from school.  On my nights (Wednesdays) I get him and we walk home (when the weather is nice).  He does homework, eat a snack.  Then we play.  Lately, its been indoor play.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

come home; hang up coat and backpack; put footwear in cubby; hat/mitten if applicable in their own bin; pull out folders for me to look at, get out homework; get snack; table to do homework; then play; then dinner; then whatever activities they have........ 

choco_mom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Plays for a bit, homework, chores, dinner.  If time then play until 7:30ish then reading, shower etc.

mj.ajc
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Carmen is only in Preschool (3 years) and she's out by 12:30.

I pick up the twins (6 years) up at 2:30, we come home and I let them play for a while, maybe a little tv.
I usually start dinner around 5 and we're eating by 6.
Homework after dinner and maybe a movie, and in bed by 9. 

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

He comes home and we go through his book bag. I sign his points balance sheet for the day and initial his agenda.

He gets all of his homework out and puts it in piles by subject. He gets started on it right away. He will usually jump from one subject to the other until it's done.  He usually has an hour to hour 1/2 of homework. Depending on what day it is will depend on what happens next. He has activities at 4:30 on Tues and Fridays. Dinner is between 4:45 and 5, again unless it's Tues or Fridays. From 6:30 - 7 he practices his trumpet. The rest of the evening is his to do whatever he wants.

Bed is 9pm.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Ds1 gets home, gets a snack and relaxes for about 30 mins, then I have him start homework. On Monday nights, he knows he has to have all homework done if he wants to go to Boy Scouts that night.

Ds2 and dd get home and have a snack. Some days they play w/ friends, some days they just watch some tv/play. I go through folders/binders, sign ds2's planner and dd's fine sheet. Homework gets started around 5:30-6.

Dinner is usually around 7. On Boy Scout nights, ds1 gets himself something to eat before leaving and has dinner when he gets home. They get ready for bed after dinner, and bedtime is 9.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Snack (if they want one), homework, dinner, extra curriculars, showers, bed.  Depending on exactly which extra curricular they sometimes have time for tv and/or video games in the evenings.  If homework is light, they can play before dinner.

AnGLInterrupted
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM

DD gets home from school around 3:15.  Immediately she does her homework, then she has a snack (they eat lunch at 10:15).  Then she's free to go outside and play, watch 30 minutes or so of TV or go play in her room.  We sit down to dinner together around 6:00 (talk, laugh, eat, maybe even play a board game if everyone is in the mood) and at 7:00 she has a bath and gets ready for bed.

ETA:  She's 5 and in Kindergarten btw.  :)

riceybaby4ever
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Ds gets out of school at 3:50. We go to my moms room ( she works in kindergarten) until she is done. Then he comes home so s his hw,play till dinner is ready wich os usually around 6 then he plays till 7 then bath and in bed by 8
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

My last child pick up is at 3:30pm. Homework. Many times we have someone visiting the house. I am a foster/adoptive mom so at least 3 days a week we have a case worker or therapist or some kind of physical therapy. Then it's dinner by 5ish. Showers and family time from 6:30-7:30 then off to bed for the little kids. My oldest is in high school so her schedual changes daily. But most of the time it's bed by 9pm. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)