Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Antibiotics

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

Very frustrated today. My son was sick so I called and got him into the doc. She ran all the test came back said it is a viral infection, not the flu, but viral.....then of all things started writing me an RX for antibiotics!!!! I refused to take it and she was glad I did however, said she is pushed by so many parents to get their kid on something she just writes an RX for it. Are you kidding me??? Your the doctor and you know it isn't going to help them at all and in the long run it is going to hurt them! Why would you let parents bully you into doing something you know isn't right? Also who are these parents insisting on giving their kids antibiotics when they have a virus??

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I dont get it either.  When something is viral, nearly no meds will help in the antibiotic family.   

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Sounds like Romania! ;) I think it is crazy too...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

That makes no sense to me. :(

corrinacs
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Well, my doctor does give us antibiotics, but she also tells me to wait at least a few days before I fill it.  My children are very prone to residual bacterial infections after colds.  In fact, happened this time around and he got antibiotics a few days ago :/.  I can tell its a sinus infectgion from the STINK.

I don't know if she does that for everyone, but considering his history.  I do wait the few days normally, although this time around it was obvious that was the problem.

Also, I don't take him in immediately once he gets a cold.  I try home remedies to help him during the worst of it (unless he goes asthmatic anyway).  If it lasts for weeks (like it did this time around) then I take him in.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My doctor has never done that.  He explained the difference between a virus and a bacterial infection many years ago to me and I fully understand.  

Now if we were in the office a few days earlier with a virus and then my youngest starts with ear pain, I just call the office and they send the script to my pharmacy.  No need for a second trip since my youngest is prone to ear infections.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I rarely take the kids to the doctor when they are sick. 

Unless they have an ear infection or I suspect one. I can't remember the last time they were on meds. E3 has yet to take any anitbiotics and he is 2 in April.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I never have understood parents that think like that, either. Your dr knows if an antibiotic will work or not, trust them!

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That's a really bad idea-she's the doctor and should be teaching parents about this issue not folding to parental pressure.  Now, obviously, if a child is prone to sinus infections writing one with the instructions to wait a week or two or until you are certain there is really an opportunistic bacterial infection moving in, that's understandable.  Yellow green booger snot after a week or more is a key indicator.  I get sinus infections all the time anymore but you have to wait and treat cold symptoms and hope it will disappear on its own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN