Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

"Mental health days"

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 433 Replies
8 moms liked this

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM
5 moms liked this
We do but we homeschool :) fun trips count for school for us though. Mental health days we don't do anything!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM
I don't.

My boys never go to school on their birthday. If they have a doctor or dentist appointment I may decide to not to take them back to school and they miss the whole day.
My boys don't have mental health days.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM
2 moms liked this
You are not the only one.
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM

He loves to learn...just not in a school setting so some days he is overwhelmed. I would love to homeschool and if I get approved for things I am applying for I will def. Look more into it...He loves museums and zoos and the such...glad I am not the only one though...

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM

She hasnt needed one yet this year.  Somehow the inservice days coincide about the time she needs a break.  Heck this week she has 2 days off from school (monday and friday) . In a couple of weeks there will be a whole week of early releases.   Mental health days I will probably save for middle school and high school.

annelauer
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:55 AM
3 moms liked this

No, but once I took her in late because she wanted to watch her little sister's (2 yo) first dance class.  She isn't usually interested in her sister, so I allowed it.  My husband was not thrilled though...

TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM
9 moms liked this

Nope, you're not the only one. I do it a couple of times a year - and I *am* a teacher. There are times, in our family, where mental health days are needed.

calsmom62
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this
We do the MH days here and there, too.
rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:48 AM
7 moms liked this

My kids aren't quite old enough yet, but when they are, absolutely. My mom did them for me when I was in school, and I really appreciated it. She would tell me that everyone needs a true day off every now and then.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM
24 moms liked this
No. We do fun stuff on weekends & holidays. Not on school days. Luckily, my child enjoys school, so we rarely have sick days and have no need for a "mental health day".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)