Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (381-390):
rojareb84
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Tori : no. She is teaching him to take a break. Our bodies are designed to need breaks. That's why we sleep, have weekends, etc. children only have one childhood. There is absolutely no reason why he has to go to school every single day. You can learn just as many valuable life lessons at home one a random day off than you can in school. It's better to take a day off than to burn out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pooobaihr
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

You mean Saturday and Sunday? Yes. lol

No such thing as "mental health" days in my house.

JoyXtwo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I have. Kids get wore out. It's not on an important day, or that their education suffers. You know when your kids can use a break. Otherwise, they end up sick anyway.
JoyXtwo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Quoting rojareb84:

We home school. Lots of mental health days here.

My question in regards to homeschooling is, when do you get a break from them?
FattysMom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

You must be talking about playing hooky from school. LOL Yes, I have given my oldest child some of those before, when she was in kindergarten. This year (she's in 3rd grade) I have done it after she's gotten over from being sick and was feeling 100%; if she didn't want to go, I let her stay home. I've even done this with my youngest when I didn't feel like putting her on the bus for Head Start. Playing hooky is not only good for adults, but for children as well. So no, you are NOT the only one and do not feel like you're not a good mom because you do it.

BRECKS
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Seriously I thought that is what the weekends were for! Guess that is why I have employees who call in once a month (or more) with some excuse as to why they can't come in to work. Also, as an educator, I have found that with our curriculum being what it is, if a child is absent, even for a day,  it could put them a little behind and out of sorts with the rest of the class as new concepts are being introduced daily. JMHO

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

uh nope....waht are you trying to teach your kid? that seems really absurd! As important as school is and the decline of work ethic in our children as it is.....they have all summer, winter break, and spring break along with other days off during the year like weekends....

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I wish I could like your comment a thousand times!!! 

Quoting BRECKS:

Seriously I thought that is what the weekends were for! Guess that is why I have employees who call in once a month (or more) with some excuse as to why they can't come in to work. Also, as an educator, I have found that with our curriculum being what it is, if a child is absent, even for a day,  it could put them a little behind and out of sorts with the rest of the class as new concepts are being introduced daily. JMHO

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I get breaks when I plan them. DH is off 3 days a week so Monday nights I go play cribbage or go out with a friend.

Tuesdays we do an early family dinner and a movie then afterward DS1 and I have time toogether doing karate and then going out for Starbucks or ice cream or something on the way home.

My kids also take co~op classes and gymnastics practice. During co~op I run errands or do shopping. One day I take only DD out with me, andother I take DS2. Sometimes I drop them off and get a starbucks and read a book.

You want the time enough...you make it!

Quoting JoyXtwo:

Quoting rojareb84:

We home school. Lots of mental health days here.

My question in regards to homeschooling is, when do you get a break from them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NenaDeAnn
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I plan on keeping or taking my dd out of school the week I deliver our baby. She has been very involved with this pregnacy and she is so much fun and she calms me when she is around me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)