Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM
16 moms liked this

No. They have SO many days off as it is. School is a top priority and I would never want to send the message that it's not.

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM

If I feel that my son needs one, I will let him. He hasn't asked for one this year, but last year, he asked alot. It was a hard adjustment to go from 1/2 day Kindergarten into 1st Grade. He wasn't used to it and it overwhelmed him and bit and wore him out. This year, 2nd Grade, he is used to it. But if I feel he needs one, than I will let him stay home. I allow him 1 mental health day a year.

jeniemarie
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
we do with my SS9. hes already had 2 this year. hes very emotional and has alot of BM drama, to the point hes already diganosed (sp) with PTSD. so when he spends alot of time with her sometimes he just needs a day to rest and get his head figured out.
our DD5 loves school plus she has no need for MH days. wish i could have a few though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
careyphotoo
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mjande4:

No. They have SO many days off as it is. School is a top priority and I would never want to send the message that it's not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama2beautiesnb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM
16 moms liked this
with 2 months of summer, a week long fall break, a week long thanksgiving break, a 2 week winter break, a weeklong spring break and multiple staff days throughout the yr... no, i dont believe in mental health days. education is too important in this house. we dont take bday off either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids don't do that, but we get a ton off during the year. We had more than a week off for a hurricane. We are about to have more days off for mardi gras. I think if they really needed it, is give them a long weekend.
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I only do that if it's needed. If they're stressed out from school, but if it's not a stressful environment I wouldn't worry about it, because missing school just mean more homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustaSM231
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this

My skids know school is a priority, so unless it's a doctor's appointment or a family emergency, they go to school.  They get enough days out with conferences, teacher days, and holidays that I don't feel they need any extras. 

charmgirl
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Not really but we always do something special on his birthday. Just me & him.
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I have not done any with my DD yet, not sure if I will or not.  Right now I run a home-based child care, so even if she took a day, we would be "stuck" home anyway.  When I was in middle school and high school, my mom allowed me one mental health day a year; a day I could take off just because I wanted to.  But, it could not be on a day that I had a test or anything like that....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)