Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (391-400):
ChristinaCheney
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

No.  I may be a little old school, but I think they need to be in school.  Letting them stay home when they are stressed teaches them they can run away from their problems, and that school is not that important.  I make doctors/dentist appointments after school too.  I have a second grader too and I spend time in his class.  There is nothing so stressful that he needs any more days off than they already give him.  Work doesn't give you birthdays off or the whole summer for that matter.  I do try to make sure they have fun on the weekends/holidays.  But, I think we coddle our kids too much and thats why some of them are so lazy and unresponsible.   I think the teachers would agree too, it sends a bad message.  

sheellyyo
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

My 9 yr old daughter missed 12 days last semester.  2 sick days, 5 days in California to see my son graduate from bootcamp.  5 days for surgery and travel to get to the hospital in Galveston to the Shriner's burn center.  This semester she will miss 5 days for surgery again in April back to Galveston.  She has missed a few half days for being sick, getting eye glasses.  I think her mental days are when we go to the beach in Galveston before surgery.  Helps with the following days to come.  She wants to be in school on her birthday cause she knows I will bring her class cupcakes and drinks.  :  )

calibmom24
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I do it! I think they deserve it!

anon1986East
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I've always allowed my children to stay home from school on their birthdays so long as they hadn't missed too many days. This year however I did allow my 8 year old stay home one day because I was worried about her. In previous grades she was always miss popular, this year she has come home many times upset because apparently most of the kids in her class make fun of her because she is the shortest kid in her class. She deals with it just fine most of the time, as her father and I keep reminding her that the women in this family are short anyway, that height doesn't really matter in the end, plus she is also the youngest kid in her class but one afternoon it was just really hard for her because she said even kids who were supposed to be her good friends joined in the teasing so I let her stay home the next day but made sure to tell her that running from bullies will only fuel them more, and I've also made a point of having her spend more time with her friend Jovanni - he has been her best friend since they started school in kindergarten and the only kid, as far as I know, who has never teased her (at least not in a malicious manner).

sseeley21
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

My Son isn't old enough to go to school yet, but when I was in school my parents and school allowed it.  We got two mental health days per year, as long as I kept my grades up and was doing well.  I always used one to go fishing with my dad every spring.  I fully intend to let my son do the same, as those are some of the fondest memories I have with my dad!  :-)  I'm hoping my son can have the same some day!

Francess33
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I always have! I've been a mom for 17 years and all three of my children have used "mental health days," the great thing is they never abused it. They knew that if they told me they needed one I would let them and we would do something fun. Oddly, I think allowing them the choice made them less likely to need one. 

aemabe
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I do. 

3mom627
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My two oldest are seniors, so yes, I have been very lenient this year. My 13 year old gets "sick" often enough that she doesn't need any mental health days.  I am much easier than my mother, I usually don't put up much fuss is they tell me they are "sick". I would rather they stay home than to send them and have the nurse call and tell me they are really sick. So, no you aren't

3MOM627

have a nice day

AmandainMO
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Connorsmommy13:

I'm glad your son is advanced and the days off aren't affecting his education. By the way, I teach grade ONE and this week I gave my students four tests. Some weeks we have five. (reading, spelling, grammar, phonics, math and math facts) I just didn't like the way you implied that its not more work for the teacher because it IS and parents need to think of everything they do times 20 for the teacher. Most parents only think their actions effect just them but that's not the way it works in a classroom.
Also wanted to say thanks to the parents that make sure their child is there on test days, but in my 11 years experience as a teacher that is not usually the case. Most tests are on Fridays and for some reason that's also the day of the week lots of parents think is ok to skip.
klsovereign
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I gave all of my kids mental health days
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)