Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (401-410):
JoyXtwo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I think that's really great that that works for your family. I hate how the school wants kids to fit their program, with no room for individuality. My DH works long irregular hours, if I didn't have school I would need mental health therapy :) Im fortunate my kids (that are old enough to go) are thriving at school, so many others struggle.

Elementary I'm not so worried about. High school is another story. I wish I could just skip it all together. Can you switch to homeschooling after elementary?
Ms.Sunshine6612
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My Son isnt old enough and i dont know how his father will feel but I would like to. My mom let me stay home a lot (probably a little too much), but we called them mommy/daughter days lol

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure. You can start homeschooling at any age. However, homeschooling is really a whole lifestyle and attitude.

My DH is off Sun~Tues. He works nights so when the kids were in public school he saw the kids for a few hours on the nights he was off and NEVER saw them awake Wed~Sat! They were gone to school. When he left and asleep when he came home. Homeschooling gives him a relationship with his kids he wouldn't have.

Quoting JoyXtwo:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I think that's really great that that works for your family. I hate how the school wants kids to fit their program, with no room for individuality. My DH works long irregular hours, if I didn't have school I would need mental health therapy :) Im fortunate my kids (that are old enough to go) are thriving at school, so many others struggle.

Elementary I'm not so worried about. High school is another story. I wish I could just skip it all together. Can you switch to homeschooling after elementary?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I believe in attendance 

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:39 AM

No.  I don't think my kid was ever mentally deranged enough to have to take a mental day off.  Now if there were a special seminar that I was going to and thought my child would enjoy and it would be educational, I might have taken her out for that (religious observance).  If they stayed off school for being sick, they didn't go out to play after school and weren't able to run around or go anywhere.  My kids enjoyed school and went.  If I took them to the doctor or to the dentist, I might not take them back, but most of the time I did as I was going back to work anyway.  Sounds like you wanted your son home with you.  I think it makes for an irresponsible kid and one who thinks he has to be protected.   I can't think of anything other than a church event that I took the kids out of school for.  (or for which if you prefer).  Kids could think anytime they didn't like something that they could skip out.  I went to work when I didn't really want to, but soemtimes we do what we have to do and we take responsibility.  Kids need to learn that. 

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM

No. My kids get enough vacation days throughout the year that they don't need one.  They also love school, and hate missing out on the fun activities that their teachers plan for them.  I remember dd was sick and missed the day when a children's book author came into visit the kids and sign books.  She was so mad at me for not letting her go to school that day.   Our school district also has a strict attendance policy, that only allows so many absences before the parents are called in for meeting to discuss attendance issues.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM
3 moms liked this

In theory I understand the logic. 

In reality I think it's a bad idea and can be the beginning of bad habits. 

First of all, there are only 180 days of school. Kids get mental health days all summer, spring break, Christmas break, three day weekends, teacher work days, etc. It's not a like a job with no days off. 

Once your child gets the message you can skip (because essentially that's what it is) it can open a whole can of worms. I know this because I was in third grade when my mom let me have a mental health day. The result was that I started habitually faking sick to get more breaks. 

So I guess if it's an A students with very good attendance who takes one day off that would be fine. But that's rarely the type of student who does it. Every day of school missed impacts learning. 

Morrigan333
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I gave dd a mental health day on Thursday, because she had a math test that day, she had NOT slept well at all(about 2 hours total sleep) and she had so much anxiety about that damn test. They seem to ttest at her school wayyy too often. As it turns out, due to inclement weather that morning..school was 2 hours late anyway. I STILL kept her home(but we DID work on the math).

Morrigan333
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I feel if your kid has so much anxiety about THE TEST that day...and they didn't sleep well at all...it definitely deserves to be a mental health day. If you have a "yelly" teacher ..ya need it...sometimes ya just can't wait till the next Professional Work day or the summer/spring/holiday vacation..The kidds need it when they need it!  This is what I LOVED about homeschooling..when dd needed the break(whenever) she GOT it. She didn't need to ask me, she didn't need to ask a teacher...if She was in crisis..that's it..she got the mental health day.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

First of all, there are only 180 days of school. Kids get mental health days all summer, spring break, Christmas break, three day weekends, teacher work days, etc. It's not a like a job with no days off. 

Once your child gets the message you can skip (because essentially that's what it is) it can open a whole can of worms. I know this because I was in third grade when my mom let me have a mental health day. The result was that I started habitually faking sick to get more breaks. 

So I guess if it's an A students with very good attendance who takes one day off that would be fine. But that's rarely the type of student who does it. Every day of school missed impacts learning. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM

But that's not how life works. If you're having a problem at work do you just take a day off? If you do it probably just makes the problem worse. 

This is the age where kids need to learn how to solve problems and cope with difficult situations. Taking a day off isn't the best way to cope with anything. 

Quoting Morrigan333:

I feel if your kid has so much anxiety about THE TEST that day...and they didn't sleep well at all...it definitely deserves to be a mental health day. If you have a "yelly" teacher ..ya need it...sometimes ya just can't wait till the next Professional Work day or the summer/spring/holiday vacation..The kidds need it when they need it!  This is what I LOVED about homeschooling..when dd needed the break(whenever) she GOT it. She didn't need to ask me, she didn't need to ask a teacher...if She was in crisis..that's it..she got the mental health day.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)