Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (411-420):
SwtSnowflake2
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
No. School is like a job. You should only miss for sick days or doctors appts. My kids need to learn good work ethic.

We have plenty of days where we take them for fun days and museums that are not during school hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
idream0f
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

What are you people teaching your children?  When you have a job, people are counting on you.  Someone has to pick up the slack when you ditch.  You get vacation time at work and your children get vacation time at school.  Be responsible and teach your children to fulfill their resposibilities.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
My last job was an HR and corporate accounting clerk for a major corporation. We got "PTO hours" or personal time off. We could use it whenever we wanted. Sick days or vacation time, whatever...no different from my kids skipping school for a day.

Quoting idream0f:

What are you people teaching your children?  When you have a job, people are counting on you.  Someone has to pick up the slack when you ditch.  You get vacation time at work and your children get vacation time at school.  Be responsible and teach your children to fulfill their resposibilities.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidim229
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Once in a while I would love to but when my son is home sick his teacher gives so lunch homework it took him a week to make up his homework from missing an hour and a half on thurs and the whole day on Friday
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shirley12
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry but you are teaching these kids that it is okay to skip school when they feel like they need a break from "reality"? What you are doing is setting them up for is a lifetime of saying it's okay to lay out of work because my boss was "hard" on me yesterday! Weekends and holidays are for fun. Children need to know that school days are for school and they are structured into their lives for a reason. I don't know of any school that doesn't have teacher workdays, field trips and frequent holidays. 

What I am hearing is a new generation of children that will grow up to be lazy adults. I raised two children and have seven grandchildren and we instilled in them that education was important and they know that they are expected to be at school when school is in session and they are to give their best at all times.  My daughters now hold full times jobs and they do not miss work, their children do not take MH days from school! My oldest grandson works and attends college and my oldest granddaughter takes college prep classes in high school and works part time-she never misses a day of school (if anyone would need a MH day it would be someone bearing their load). They know that when they need to have fun or relax-the weekend is the time that they are supposed to do this!

jgirlme
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I actually gave my 5yo one the day this was written. She just woke up all wrong. She was really whiney. She couldn't even eat her breakfast without crying. The teacher had mentioned that lately, she seemed really quiet and detached at school, so I just asked her if she wanted to stay home for a day. I talked to her teacher after school on Friday and she said she seemed much more like herself that day. She was happy, played with the other students, cooperative. It would seem that all she needed was just a day off.

LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM
No. Ive never even heard of it until cm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Or maybe she needed to go to bed earlier and get more sleep . . .

Quoting jgirlme:

I actually gave my 5yo one the day this was written. She just woke up all wrong. She was really whiney. She couldn't even eat her breakfast without crying. The teacher had mentioned that lately, she seemed really quiet and detached at school, so I just asked her if she wanted to stay home for a day. I talked to her teacher after school on Friday and she said she seemed much more like herself that day. She was happy, played with the other students, cooperative. It would seem that all she needed was just a day off.

trayseehalf
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I don't know if I would call them mental health days. But there are days when our son really isn't sick but says he is. I do keep him home, I do.

cdemkfam
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

yes sometimes i give my daughter a day off just cause she needed the day and have done it ever since she was little and she is a jr in high school now but she also makes good grades and has never failed a grade

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN