Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (421-430):
coolmom1999
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I I personally do not do this unless you count going to the waterpark the last couple years since his dad's work pays for him to go to a seminar. I don't encourage him to just stay home.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

What about jobs that gove people PTO or Personal Time Off, and encourage them to use it as needed/ wanted? Maybe I was spoiled but my boss told me to take it any time I asked.

If jobs can do this- why can't schools? I didn't make me respect my job or my boss less...actually I appreciated them MORE  because they understood us as people and understood that sometimes life just happens and you need a day to deal with it.

Quoting shirley12:

Sorry but you are teaching these kids that it is okay to skip school when they feel like they need a break from "reality"? What you are doing is setting them up for is a lifetime of saying it's okay to lay out of work because my boss was "hard" on me yesterday! Weekends and holidays are for fun. Children need to know that school days are for school and they are structured into their lives for a reason. I don't know of any school that doesn't have teacher workdays, field trips and frequent holidays. 

What I am hearing is a new generation of children that will grow up to be lazy adults. I raised two children and have seven grandchildren and we instilled in them that education was important and they know that they are expected to be at school when school is in session and they are to give their best at all times.  My daughters now hold full times jobs and they do not miss work, their children do not take MH days from school! My oldest grandson works and attends college and my oldest granddaughter takes college prep classes in high school and works part time-she never misses a day of school (if anyone would need a MH day it would be someone bearing their load). They know that when they need to have fun or relax-the weekend is the time that they are supposed to do this!

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I don't really understand how kids who attend school less than half the year need more time off.  If anything, they need less.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

What about jobs that gove people PTO or Personal Time Off, and encourage them to use it as needed/ wanted? Maybe I was spoiled but my boss told me to take it any time I asked.

If jobs can do this- why can't schools? I didn't make me respect my job or my boss less...actually I appreciated them MORE  because they understood us as people and understood that sometimes life just happens and you need a day to deal with it.

Quoting shirley12:

Sorry but you are teaching these kids that it is okay to skip school when they feel like they need a break from "reality"? What you are doing is setting them up for is a lifetime of saying it's okay to lay out of work because my boss was "hard" on me yesterday! Weekends and holidays are for fun. Children need to know that school days are for school and they are structured into their lives for a reason. I don't know of any school that doesn't have teacher workdays, field trips and frequent holidays. 

What I am hearing is a new generation of children that will grow up to be lazy adults. I raised two children and have seven grandchildren and we instilled in them that education was important and they know that they are expected to be at school when school is in session and they are to give their best at all times.  My daughters now hold full times jobs and they do not miss work, their children do not take MH days from school! My oldest grandson works and attends college and my oldest granddaughter takes college prep classes in high school and works part time-she never misses a day of school (if anyone would need a MH day it would be someone bearing their load). They know that when they need to have fun or relax-the weekend is the time that they are supposed to do this!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Because lessons learned by living life and having first hand experience often is more valuable that what comes from a book...

Quoting mjande4:

I don't really understand how kids who attend school less than half the year need more time off.  If anything, they need less.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting shirley12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I completely agree, which is why there are 180+ OTHER days to do so!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Because lessons learned by living life and having first hand experience often is more valuable that what comes from a book...

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting shirley12:

calsmom62
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I do it. I usually give them one or two days throughout the year. It's usually unplanned .. I can tell in the morning if they need a break.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kitty_Myrick
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

It sounds like a good idea.  I wouldn't do it for my kids thow.  Our school takes days off like they're going out of style. So I don't pull our son out unless I have to.

smushy79
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I have not done this but it is because I do work FT outside of the home. I have limited amount of leave and winter always kills my leave with the kids being sick. I have to conserve where I can! I hope as the kids get older, and less sickness invades my house, I will be able to do these things.

Donya90
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I let my kids have a mental day. My girls have had some teachers that were just wretched. Tenure is a disgrace and allows bad teachers to keep doing whatever they please. Yes, once in awhile its okay to have a mental day. I did one each semester, albiet, grades had to been good, and hadnt missed much due to illness. As a retired teacher, I have no problem with it. If you kid has a good teacher, and mine have had those too, they wont want to take one! My youngest is gifted and did have an easier time with teachers. She hardly wanted to take a mental day.

amyleigh80
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM
I remember when I was a kid and on the really cold days my mom would come to get me up for school and I would be so warm and comfy. Then she would put another cover over me and say, how about you stay home today, its cold. She would tell me to go back to sleep. I would smile and drift off. We would spend the day watching movies.

My DD bday is Friday. I'm thinking I will keep her home as a surprise. We are going to Disney on Sat for her bday present.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN