Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (431-433):
CarolynC71
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My cousin and her husband are staying with us right now. They let her son stay home from school today because there is no school tomorrow. My guess is they were just too lazy to get out of bed to take him to school. I'm sorry but that is the absolute worst excuse. And they have done it frequently. The first day back after Winter Break and he didn't go to school. My cousin's response, "oh they probably think we are gone already." My thought, 'You aren't so he needs to have his butt in school."  My cousin told my husband tis morning something about it's okay because they are getting ready to move anyway (which they are). There is still no excuse for your child to not go to school. He could end up behind when they get to their new home (out of state). How is that fair to the child?

Unless the child is actually sick or the parent is very sick there is no excuse for not sending your child to school. NO EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if he needs a mental day then he needs to put into some sort of counseling.

Minnetonka
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Please, don't label it a "Mental Health Day"...That is what Psychologists would call it.
It is just a day your child doesn't have to go to school for various personal reasons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Kyle03
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I did it for the first time this year on a really snowy day I just didn't feel like getting to work or school. So my 10 yr son and I went shopping at Bass pro (his favorite place), lunch at Steak N shake, we drove down snowy rural roads and enoyed the beauty of nature, stopped to pet some horses in pasture and went sledding. He told me it was the best day off he ever had. I think it was good for some alone time together so I didn't consider it bad to skip school. And he NEVER takes sick days anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)