Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (51-60):
MandaRose83
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I haven't done it yet. My oldest is only in Kindergarten but I probably will in the future. We all need a break every once in awhile and school isn't like it used to be when we were kids. They expect these kids to be perfect at such an early age and its frusterating and aggravating. I can see why so many parents are choosing to homeschool nowadays. The public school system is getting out of hand. I got a letter the other day from the school nurse that my 5 year old is overweight. He is 4 feet tall and 50lbs. He is in no way overweight. He also received his report card and there was nothing positive on it. He does have some behavioral issues but he is extremely intelligent and there was nothing on the report card pointing out anything good about his academic excellence or how he has been improving in some areas. It was all negative reports about behavior. We had to sign them and send them back and I felt like ripping it up and sending it back in the envelope with a note attatched stating "this is what I think of this" but my child shouldn't suffer because of me so I didn't. 

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Our DD is in a private year round Montessori school thru Kinder. My partner works Tues-Sat & I work M-F. The Mon after the Newtown tragedy my partner kept our DD home for a "practical life" day. They went shopping, did dishes, cleaned, & used DD's newest Chanukah gift, an entomology kit that rocks. DD fashions herself an entomologist. It was a great day as I understand it, but I'm not sure for whom it was an MH day, LOL.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Yes we do. She's in second grade and its not that she doesn't like school. She loves it. It's really for the two of us to just hang. With a toddler and a working 80+ hour a week husband I feel like she helps me so much that I want to take a second stop and enjoy her as my daughter. We're always in a rush. It's our day to just veg out. Sorry if its on a Wednesday
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MelanieMans
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I will when he goes to school, hes only 15 months right now though. Its not fun spending most of your time at school.

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don't. If I let them skip for any reason I would have to listen to them whine when I sent them. so if your not puking or have a fever you go. Mine have plenty of early dismissal and days off through the school though. 

My son had from dec 21 to jan 8 for xmas break. which was way too long. now I can't get back into the groove either. 

DolphinFan85
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

i would never do that...their education is more important than that.

stykir
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

no. my husband and i can't just take off work whenever we feel like it, it needs to be a very good reason, like we're sick or have a family emergency. those are the only reasons i let my son stay home from school. i want him to know that when you have responsibilities to fulfill and you can't just skip them when you feel like it- sometimes you gotta push through it. This is how my husband and I were brought up and i like that people know they can almost always depend on us to be where we say we're gonna be. I want my kids to be dependable that way.

MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My DS (7) hasn't asked for one but if he ever did I'd let him.  Everyone needs a day off, even kids.  He also has autism (higher functioning) and so he requires X amount of quiet time a day/week to keep his composure.  The noise of a full classroom often overwhelms him.  He comes home from school and marches up to his room to sit in silence, lol, poor guy.

Emiliush
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM

helll  yes i would!!! [whenever i was little i always told myself ill do it!!!]

but if he was good and worked rrrrealy hard ill do it... he needs some break. plus im sure we all sometimes do it with work.. call in sick.. or change shifts. haha

stephanierae223
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

No your not alone, I give my kids days off. We have had 2 this school year. My younger two grades 1st and 3rd love them, but my oldest in 4th  refuses,she wants to be at school everyday. I think she is afraid she will miss something important..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN