Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Replies (61-70):
elliotmommytobe
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
My parents didnt allow mental health days even though I could have benefited from them. I was ridiculed pushed into lockers and beat up. My mothervwent to yale uofm and a community college and has three degrees so education is very important to my mom. I still havent been able to finish hs because of the ridicule but now that im a grown woman married and a mother I took a semester off to get used to,all the changes in my life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LisaRoyNKaden
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I'm not against them. But my son is only in Kindergarten.  This year he wants to get the perfect attendance award. lol 

lilmama2be
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I doubt you are the only one who does it, but I haven't allowed it yet for mine (honestly doubt I will). She can have fun when she does not have school.

Irishmommy860
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM

This year we've had a lot of dr appointments and I usually just pick her up earlier then necessary so we can enjoy a little bit of quiet time together alone. It's hard for us with her 18 month old sister at home and the constant struggles from her ADHD and Anxiety to get to do things alone much. I do make sure she attends as many days as possible. The teachers even admit that school is way more overwhelming now then it was when we were their age

Lordgodempress
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We do... If my children are having a bad day or had a rough night for any reason, they usually get to stay home.  My oldest is in a private high school so she doesn't get many she would miss too much but if she needs one she gets one.   If my younger two tell me they need a day off they get one if I can.    I know not every parent can do that, because kids will lie to get to stay home but my kids have never done that,  I am lucky that they are pretty understanding on what is important enough to stay home.   My DS has perfect attendance so far this years and DD 6 missed a little at the beginning of the year when she got sick.   My oldest missed a couple of days because she was being bullied and I refused to send her back until they fixed it.  She only missed 2 days the whole year, and they did fix it.

__H3ATH3R__
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

My DD is only in K. But no, i don't see us doing this in the future. I think school days are SCHOOL days and she has the weekend to rest. I also do not call in sick to work just because i don't feel like going. Hell i didn't even call in sick when i had pneumonia and bronchitis. 

I don't think it is a good idea to teach your children to slack on their responsibilities just because they don't feel like going. The world doesn't work that way...

toast22
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

not at all! i'm glad i'm not the only one. I ask my kids to study a lot and i put a lot of pressure on them because it's important for me that they do well but sometimes they need a break. I am very lucky because the kids and i talk about everything...and when i see that they have way too much on their plate i let them stay home for the day. We usually just stay at home and watch movies or read a book and go have lunch. Just like you, it doesn't happen offen...maybe 2-3 times a school year. everyone needs a break once in a while....

haileys_mommy06
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. We took a Monday off to go to Epcot in November and we're annual pass holders.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robsgurl_23
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

no..they only get to stay out of school if they are sick..they have the weekends off from school so why miss school if they don't have to. The weekends are for fun stuff. 

hizwifie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I would if I didnt home school. Not often though, maybe twice a year, once a semester. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)