Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you have a dawdler?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 45 Replies
My 8 yo dd drives me nutters with her dawdling and dragging everything out. Do you have a dawdler?
If you do, what do you do to keep your family on schedule?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshlor2
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Yes! It takes my dd forever to do anything. She even brings home class work that she didn't finish most days. She is always the first one I start to get ready and I allow extra time into her schedule because I know she will take forever and get sidetracked.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I have a space cadet.  He's super smart and does well in school, but he just zones out randomly.  My dad says he lives in his own little cartoon world, lol.

*ETA*  Oh, I just have to keep reminding him.  He's getting better with it though.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
DD was a total dawdler in elementary school! Drove me crazy and started each day mad. Once he got to middle school, he totally changed. DD is easy to keep moving but some days she seems to require more time staring at herself in the mirror than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Gaaaahhhh! Drives me crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weaveress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

We have a get ready list and go to bed list. Both very detailed. Down to wipe the sink after brushing your teeth. Everything on them has to be completed in a half an hour, except bath nights when they get extra splash time. I have a timer. If they don't get done before the timer It's a swat. I've only had to swat once in 11 years. 

veganistic
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
That's my daughter! Lol. But i swear... we're running late this morning and she stops to write wow in the fog on the window. I swear she tries to make me lose my mind entirely when she can See that I'm near the edge. Cmon baby, get born ... mommy seriously needs a glass of wine. .. :D

Quoting jillbailey26:

I have a space cadet.  He's super smart and does well in school, but he just zones out randomly.  My dad says he lives in his own little cartoon world, lol.

*ETA*  Oh, I just have to keep reminding him.  He's getting better with it though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcgroves
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Oh, yes...she has her own little time clock and she runs on it lol. It is really the biggest problem in the morning when we all have to get out of the house by a certain time so to try to give her the kick she needs she has to have her clothes laid out the night before and have her coat and backpack by the front door ready to go. I also usually have to do a ten minute warning every morning. Now other then morning time...I really don't rush the kid too much because it isn't interfereing with anyone else's schedule. She feels like taking an hour and a half on homework fine whatever she is the one sitting there all night. She wants to take an hour long bath fine, but you gotta be in there by a certain time. It is who she is she has been this way since day one she will do it when she is good and ready to no sooner no later. I have learned to just let it go. Though I will say if she happens to be the one waiting on someone she doesn't like it and I point out to her that, that is how we feel when waiting on her all the time!

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My DD is so slow. She is now in high school and has not changed at all. She needs 1.5 hours in the morning to get ready, she does not do makeup it's just getting dressed, hair, and sometimes breakfast. She just moves at a snails pase. My son can get up and be ready to walk out the door in 20 minutes. With DD we set alarms. So her AM alarm goes off she needs to get up. When the second alarm goes off she needs to dress and come down. And so on so on. Now she uses the alarms on her phone and it works great. She stays after everyday to finish work. When she was younger they told me she had a learning disability and she could never pass her timed math tests (that's how slow she is) but she is now in honors classes and does fine as long as its not timed. 

veganistic
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg, there's hope then?? Lol!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

DD was a total dawdler in elementary school! Drove me crazy and started each day mad. Once he got to middle school, he totally changed. DD is easy to keep moving but some days she seems to require more time staring at herself in the mirror than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

My 7 year old is like that.  Everything takes him forever to do.  I try to make it fun like race to see who can get dressed first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)