Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your child wear Shorts in the Winter?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 262 Replies
1 mom liked this

It is below freezing here and there are still some boys who are wearing shorts to school. I really wonder about their mothers.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcgroves
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Not to school no, however my son is just naturally hot and even when I think it is freezing out he will put shorts on. So yes around the house he does if we are going outside though I do make him change and he certainly doesn't wear them to school.

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Well here in coastal Texas we only get a few weeks of freezing weather so no of course not. But here still in Winter we can hit 80+ degrees on somedays and on those days yes.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I try and let my kids pick out there clothes and be independent but I try to led them in the right direction. I put away all the shorts so not to tempt them. It was 3degrees out this morning. There is no way I would let my child go to school in shorts. It's a health issue at this point I. The winter.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
27 moms liked this
Yes. DS (12) would wear shorts everyday if I let him. Around the 40 degree mark he'll wear pants but shorts are his clothes of choice. If he gets cold he gets cold. It's his choice and he has to learn to make better choices. He's hardly the only one. It used to upset me but my friend whose sons are older, told me how common it is and it wasn't a battle worth fighting. I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes I do, but we're in Colorado. I can be below freezing in the morning, and by noon it could be in the 70s. My DH used to live here when he was in middle school, and he remembers going to school in shorts with snow on the ground, because it would warm up and melt before lunch.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No, I would not and it is against our school's dresscode.  It is very rare that we have a day above 40* this time of the year, and most days are in the 20's for highs.  So shorts would be absolutely insane.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
5 moms liked this

Some kids will dress like that if they know they are not going outside for recess b/c it is too cold outside. The only time they are outside is to/from school. If the school inside is warm, it shouldn't matter. Once kids get to a certain age though, and are picking clothes themselves, if they choose to dress inappropriately for the weather, they can suffer the consequences (being cold). There comes a point where no matter what mom says, they have to learn for themselves.

I have seen the Jr High/HS kids pulling out the hoodies and flip flops on the first spring days, even if the temps are only 45.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
4 moms liked this

I think clothing is typically a battle not worth fighting. My son is 6. I will tell him what to wear and if he fights me, I don't push it. They'll learn pretty quickly. 

My only way of fighting it would be making him pack weather-appropriate clothing in his backpack

12yrmama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I wouldn't mind if they wear heavy shorts, not sports/lightweight ones. But we live in NC.

I hate some of the shoes kids wear, flip-flops to school? No.

12yrmama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I also pack away most of the summer stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)