Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you let your child wear Shorts in the Winter?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is below freezing here and there are still some boys who are wearing shorts to school. I really wonder about their mothers.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Replies (251-260):
Megzboys
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM

It think that it really depends on the child.    Some boys do run run warmer then others, my cousin was always like that, his natural temp was 101 compared to the reg. 98.6  so bundling him would have made him sweat like crazy.  

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Sure, if it were one of my older children, I would let them wear shorts.

steph21078
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM

My 14 yr old always wears shorts,  He says he doesn't get cold and if it is cold enough to bother him he will wear pants.   There are a lot of kids at his school that only wear shorts all year long

AlilKittyKat
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

If my daughter wants to wear shorts/skirts in the winter, you better believe she has leggings underneath.  And we are not in an area with below freezing temps.. When were were having our cold spurt a few weeks back, with morning temps in the 20's i saw a boy at my daughters school in shorts and T Shirt running around on the play ground.  He was sweating to, i couldn't believe it..  

countrygirlkat
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM

There is a rule at our school that they are not allowed to wear shorts during the 2nd and 3rd quarters of school so no I would not. 

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I wouldn't let him wear them to school, but he wears them after he works out with me at the gym to the car.

victoriouspirit
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I love the fact that this is a topic of discussion b/c I thought I was the only mom who had to fight it with both kids in the winter months b/c they want to wear shorts. I always had the bad mom philosophy too, until I became that mom and simply got tired of fighting with them every morning. I decided 40 degrees was the cutoff- below, absolutely pants and winter coat. Above forty- you can freeze if you want too, I'm not fighting with you anymore. My kids are are 9 & 10, so I'm okay letting them learn the consequences of their actions, and they have. If they complain of being cold, well, you should have worn pants and a coat. They don't have to relearn this lesson too many times each winter. I do however see a lot of freezing teenagers without coats waiting for the bus near our house. Evidently they don't really ever learn that lesson because being "cool" wins over being cold every time. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM

You would wonder about me then. 

I pick my battles. 

When my 13 yr old came downstairs at 6 in a pair of shorts in early March in Upstate NY (my SIL had bought them the day before for him for the summer).... I just looked at him and told him he looked good, but his knees might get chilly at the bus stop. 

He went back upstairs and came down in sweatpants. 

I went into school to read to his class and didn't see him. Mrs W tells me he's "right there." In a sleeveless basketball shirt and the shorts, no socks. 

He had a hoodie over the shirt (and I didn't think to ask what was under the hoodie), took the sweatpants off (because he really wanted to wear his new shorts) and his socks were on the class heater. When he went to get on the bus he hit the slush puddle and his boots got wet. He hates wet socks so he took them off to put his sneakers on. 

THe principal saw him that morning, and asked Mrs W if I needed to be checked on. Her reply was "if she doesn't show up to read. Other than that she picks her battles."

hurricane37
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I know germs make you sick but staying warm can help your body fight off infections.

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Well, it's technically winter, but, it was 71 today and they wore shorts!  But, in the freezing cold, no.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)