Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you let your child wear Shorts in the Winter?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is below freezing here and there are still some boys who are wearing shorts to school. I really wonder about their mothers.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Replies (41-50):
sonshining
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

No, if it is cold, absolutely not. I am the parent, I have common sense to not let my child wear shorts in winter anymore than I would let him wear a sweatshirt in the heat of summer. It is not a battle between my son and I. If he starts to object, that's it. Again, I am the parent.

IloveNCIS
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

LOL yep, it is about 35 degrees and yesterday my kid and the little boy I watch were both out playing in the snow in a t-shirt, shorts, and snowboots. They were having a blast.

MamaLori
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Depending on their age, yes, I have allowed them to wear shorts even when it's cold. If they get cold- lesson learned. If it's above 20 my sons are almost always in shorts. My daughter tried once but decided that she was too cold and hasn't wanted to wear them since. This week it's been single digits and they haven't even tried to wear shorts.  

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Where I live? Totally. But it's 68* outside right now...soooo.

If it's cold? HECK NO!

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Only when it's warm! It hit like 70 degrees a couple of weeks ago and my boys both wore shorts but its 21 degrees outside right now and I would never! Not in this cold! Dh, however, still wears shorts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Well even in the winter we can have some pretty warm days, but it could be 65 all day and suddenly drop to 30 and start snowing, so between I'd say the months of November-the end of March I don't let the kids wear shorts, and they always have to bring a coat to school, even if we think it's going to stay warm.

ETA: It's actually 67 out right now, and absolutely beautiful, but my daughter is still wearing a pretty thick long sleeved shirt today, poor thing is going to probably be angry when I get her from school because she's hot lol.

AliKatAK47
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM

It is 70 degrees. I am wearing shorts. They went to school with short sleeves on

sophiesmom07
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

No, unless we lived in the South! 

kayceejane
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Not if he's going outside but I do SOMETIMES let him at home with tall socks on.

ambercates
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
No, I wouldn't! I drives me crazy when people do unless it is for athletics!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)