Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you let your child wear Shorts in the Winter?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is below freezing here and there are still some boys who are wearing shorts to school. I really wonder about their mothers.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Replies (51-60):
JTE11
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I think our district has rules that say from a certain date in the fall until a certain date in the spring shorts are not allowed, but I wouldn't send DD in shorts anyway. It was 6 degrees here today!

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

My oldest does but he's a senior.  The others no.

family in the van   Mom of four

calsmom62
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Don't wonder. We buy them long pants, we tell them their kneecaps will freeze and fall off. It's called a natural consequence. Most of the boys in 5th grade and up here during temps of upper 30s will wear shorts and a parka at least occasionally.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Yes. We live in the south and it hasn't been that cold, mostly in the 50s. He plays basketball and goes to practice and games with shorts on. A couple of times it was almost 70 in January and he wore shorts to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

No but around the house, yes

GhettoKoolAide
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Maybe because my child knows his body? He runs hot and if he wanted to wear shorts and I knew he would be comfy then he can.
lexismom90
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM
That I would wonder about too. Here it depends on the day so far most winter we have been around 70-80 so some days it is short and a t-shirt others it's long pants and a jacket.
debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:29 AM

We live in California.  So even when it is cold it is not below freezing.  My children get to pick out thier clothes.  I will tell them if they need to change.  If they choose not to change I let them go out in what they are wearing.  They know not to complain if they are cold on those days.  I do force them to change for school, atleast I did when they were in school.  They are homeschooled now though.

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM

We live in NW FL and while this has been a rather mild winter for us, (upper 20's for lows a few times)  I get upset at the kids running around without jackets on.  Mine know they better not walk out that door without a jacket especially in the evening.  But my friends son OMG we are constantly reminding him to put a jacket on.  The neighborhood kids too, the come in shivering wearing shorts and a tshirt and its like where is your jacket, at home, i forgot it. I just want to smack them.

5 of the 7 of us have either had the flu or has it over the last 2 weeks.  I have  a note on the door saying stay away we have the flu, they still knock or ring the doorbell wanting a kid that doesn't have it.  I asked one of the boys if he realizes he could catch he said yes, I want to catch it so I can get out of school!!! WTF!!!Then I said do you realize how deadly this flu is?  he was like what?  I said yes, this flu going around has killed alot of people and you WANT to catch it?? I told him to go home and not come back until we go a few days without anyone else getting it.  It seems like when the first one came down with it, it lasted 2-3 days, one day noone sick, then another came down with it sick 2-3 days and so on.  DH has it now.  Myself and my friends dd are the only ones who havn't gotten it.  And guess who was the first one with it?  My friends son that refuses to wear a jacket!!!

CarolinaGirl88
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM

My daughter only wants to wear dresses or skirts. If I know we're going out somewhere where we'll be out in the cold a lot I make her put on some tights to keep her legs warm, and obviously her jacket. Sometimes if we're just going to a store and we're not going to be outside for too long then I'll let her skip the tights, but I still insist on her jacket. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)