Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kinder Kids: Bath or Shower

Posted by   + Show Post
Do most 5 & 6yo kids bathe or take showers? My just turned 6yo DD hates showers, in part because she hates water in the eyes. But I'm sick of giving her baths. What age is normal to transition to showers?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (41-50):
RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

if you have girls though, and they start developing before the age of ten, then it's probably a good idea to let them learn how to bathe themselves by the age of eight years old. (In my opinion, I'd rather make sure that they do a good job of washing themselves, but if they've already started the period, then they need the privacy before then. It really depends on the child actually. Some can do it real young others are late bloomers as our grand daughter is.

megs2boys
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My boys are 5 and 6 and they take a shower. I still wash their hair and then give them a scrubby with soap and they wash themselves. We stopped baths about a year ago when my 6 year old kept getting Uti's because of the soap in the tub.

kayceejane
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I have a bucket of shower/bath toys.. one thing included being swimming goggles. :P I try to let my son (age 5 1/2) take at least two baths a week if he has enough time before bedtime but generally he showers. The only part I take in helping him bathe is popping my head in to ask if he's remembered to use soap or wash his hair, everything else is up to him and he does quite well.

Macksmom2006
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My 3 will reluctantly take showers. I let them wash/play and then I was hair. 

melaniecerise
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM

bath

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Our daughter can't be left alone in the bath because she has epilepsy & is on strict seizure precautions. I'm not sure if we are allowed to let her shower alone. If we are, that would be an additional motivator for us, but we'd still have to help her with her hair. Plus, the shower surface is so hard, if she did have a seizure in there, she would be at serious risk of a severe head injury or limb break. I'm not sure I could take the risk. :-( I swear I'm not a helicopter mom, but...!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Bath, but he washes his own hair and body.  We get the water temp. right and then he sits in there, watches his water, then bathes himself.

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

My youngest likes showers. He's 2.5yo. Most were about 3, 3.5 when they wanted showers..

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Our daughter can't be left alone in the bath because she has epilepsy & is on strict seizure precautions. I'm not sure if we are allowed to let her shower alone. If we are, that would be an additional motivator for us, but we'd still have to help her with her hair. Plus, the shower surface is so hard, if she did have a seizure in there, she would be at serious risk of a severe head injury or limb break. I'm not sure I could take the risk. :-( I swear I'm not a helicopter mom, but...!

Oh my!    Don't let the term Helicopter parent effect this situation! Jet Travolta had a seizure in the shower, hit his head and died.  Please don't be scared, just cautious. My mom and I have had seizures for years. It can be managed.

SoKamele
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

My son has always taken showers......since newborn to his now age of 5.

It's a special treat for him to get a bath........we don't have a bathtub in our home right now...we are doing a renvo...........but even when we did.......he still took a shower.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN