Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What are your thoughts on this punishment???

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you ever do this to your child?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (81-90):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I'm not a fan of using shame as a punishment. 

But I wonder what he did. 

I am a HUGE fan of the punishment fitting the crime. If he humiliated someone else maybe feeling a little humiliation will help him find some empathy. IDK

roldansync
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

No, but I have given consequences some parents would cringe at. I am not my children's friend, I am their parent. It is my responsibility to teach them and guide them not cover up for them.

wissotamum
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

No, that kind of over-the-top showy punishment usually comes on the heels of years of inconsistent parenting.  "Look at me community, it's not me, I'm a good parent".  Whatever, lady.  

supermomz25
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I would in a heartbeat.

sheellyyo
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

If I had exhausted all avenues and nothing worked, then yes.  You have to find their currency.  Each child is different.  Luckily with mine I have not had to go to this extreme.  It will be a lesson this little boy will never forget.  And He probably won't do the crime again to not do the time. 

My son is 19 now and a US Marine.  When he was little he was a challenge.  Everyday.  Nothing shocked me anymore after yrs of his ........expertise of annoryness.  I had to come up with creative ways of punishments for him that were age appropriate.  Time outs, spankings, the older he got it was then writing sentences, grounding with everything taken away.  Then came the chore lists.  Not a day but days.  Like clearing out the shed, sweeping it out, and putting everything back nice and neat.  All day project.  Cleaning gutters and washing baseboards.  He is the jack of all trades.  Even as a US Marine I had to get onto him his last visit.  He left his room and truck trashed out and I had to clean it up.  Not only does that show disrespect for my home, but laziness from him.  I called him and told him I was called the commander in charge of him to come and look at his room, how he left it.  He didn't like that.  I asked him if he would do that there at base and he said no.  So from now on he will be fined.

JTE11
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so, I'd probably make my kid do something to give back to the bullied kid or the bullied kid's family somehow, if the other family was on board with it. I'd have to think about it to come up with something specific and appropriate but I'd rather do something positive then just humiliate my kid.

Hottubgodess
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Love it!!!!  

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM

If my child was humiliating another person, I probably would.  I'm not much for humiliation punishments but if he was humiliating another child I would want him to see how it feels.  He would also be demoted a belt rank or two in karate and have to write me an essay on top of "community service" at the dojo and a lengthy grounding.  Being an asshole is something I take very seriously.

Mommytotwins44
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM
um yes i do believe i would provided nothing else worked. i do not believe in bullying. my first two who are in their 20s now never bullied anyone. they were friends with the ones who were being bullied and even stuck up for them. i tought my kids that just because we r different doesnt mean we "dont belong" . i am super proud of my kids. now i am teaching my 6 y.o. twins what i taught my other 2. my twins got off the bus hursday and told me that there was this kid on the bus bullying the older of the 2. i have zero tolerance for this and will be making a trip to the school for a meeting with the other kid, the bus driver, the principal and the parents of the kid doing the bullying if this continues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlessednHappy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I agree

Quoting jillbailey26:

If they were old enough to understand and nothing else was working, yes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)