Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My daughter got a one day suspension.

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have two daughter who ride the bus, Virginia who is 7 and Natalya who is 11 years old.  Yesterday on the school bus Virginia was being teasing and picked on by a boy or boys who usually go after my older daughter Natalya.  Natalya saw this and went to defend her buy getting phyical with the boy. I was told she was kicking and hitting him then had to be pulled off him.  She got a referral from the bus driver and the princapal talk to everyone who saw what happen. He said the tape on the tape showed  her attacking him and the witnesses confrimed what happen just before.  Even though she was defending her sister she did it the wrong way and he has supened her from school on Monday.

I agree with him on the suspension, she choose the wrong action to the problem. It is her first time getting suspension and bus referral. I hope my daughter has learned her leason on the wrong way to handle a problem. I am proud of her for standing up for her little sister, but I just wish she choose the right way of dealing with.  I think the boy or boys got what they really wanted, and that was getting her into trouble. She was starting to stop reacting to their teasing with bad choices and taking the steps her teacher and princapal set up to deal with them. What can I do to protect my youngest from these boys? and how can I help my oldest with chooses the right action?

Any help will be great. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1234abcd4321
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

that really stinks. can you ask the bus driver to keep them up front with him/her?

Refurbished
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM

You may not have to protect her any longer.  Unfortunately sometimes bullies need a little fear before they will stop.  My brother was a tiny kid, and he was trash-canned once.  He came out of the can, and broke the kid's nose.  Nobody ever bullied him ever again.  He was suspended for 3 days over it, but it solved his problem. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

How does she defend herself from them?  If she is able to,  she needs to learn to tune out the naysayers while on the bus and only listen to the busdrivers instructions.   Some people who pick on others do it for the attention and reaction so if there is no reaction, they will stop.

GaleJ
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I won't address the issue of whether or not she should have been suspended but I do think that these boys and their bullying should be dealt with immediately. That they've been able to bother both of your daughters and nothing has been done about it is, I feel, encouraging them to continue. Please address this concern to the school and demand an appropriate response.

Macksmom2006
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM

That is bullying. Were the boys suspended as well?? Your daughter was just defending herself and sister. I would fight it tooth and nail. IMHO though

ohmandy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

thats a shame, did the boys get any consequences?  i hope the previous poster was right.  a kid shouldnt have to deal with that and hopefully her sister scared them enough to keep them away :(

corrinacs
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I can't imagine :( :(.  I agree, I think the punishment fits the crime and that will give her time to think about better ways she could have handled it.

But I also think that the instigators should have been punished in some way as well.  Verbal bullys rarely get into trouble because there's not much in the form of evidence against them.  And words can be just as hurtful as hitting someone.

Good luck!

SheaShea34
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Well since there were others who heard what he said to my youngest daughter, he will be punish as well.  Thanks for all your advice.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
This is a great way for your DD to learn that 2 wrongs do not make a right and kudos to you for realizing she was wrong (many moms here wouldn't). I agree with PPs that her fighting back may well put an end to it (hopefully).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I totally see both sides.

While I would support the school in the suspension because that is the rule and not the "best" option, I would also take her out somewhere special and have lunch, or ice cream and tell her hhow PROUD you are off her for standing up fpr herself and her sister!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)