Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

You may or may not have noticed from previous posts that I feel strongly a student's school work should be his or her own. 

I've sent projects home with students to redo when it's clear Mom or Dad did most of the work. I can't stand how an activity meant to teach a child becomes a competition between the parents to see who can do the most elaborate thing. 

Anyway...

My son has to make a rocket for school. He's been talking to his dad all week about how to make it. 

As we finished dinner my husband said, "I have get working on my rocket for school tomorrow."

I am so annoyed. My own husband is one of the competitive parents that drive me nuts. 

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lorena
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I agree. He was in BS when he was with his mom and I guess his uncle was suppose to do it with him and he just went out and bought him a premade one. Really how lazy can someone be it is suppose to be a bonding moment. If the adult "figure" is not going to put in the effort why have saod kid in it. I know single moms who did it with their sons not taking the easy way out.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

I felt bad once we got there and it was apparent most parents did everything... one dad told us he gave the car to a coworker to cut for him. I was like "wait, this is supposed to be a father/son bonding thing" Some were ridiculously elaborate where maybe the kid helped design, but the parents did everything.

Quoting Lorena:

Awesome my ss is 7 & in tigers. He got 3rd. Dh only cut it out ss did everything else.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

My son is 6, so we did most of his car too... he helped paint. It wasn't the most elaborate car at all, but he won 1st for the tigers, 3rd overall

Quoting Lorena:

My dh and ss worked on a car togeather. Ss Drew the shap dh cut it out and ss painted it.

When we got to the race. All the cars wherr these elaborate doing. Clearly their dad did them and this was for boy scouts.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
little_buggie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

As long as they are working on it together and the IDEAS are the child's who cares.  Sometimes children need help to execute their ideas and make them work.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I wish I could get my hubby involved with homework, lol. I hope you set him straight.

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I remember when my nephews were in elementary school, 1st or 2nd grade(they are now in their 20's.  They needed to make a book.  They had a program at school one night were they would present and read their book to the parents.  My brother was out of town, so my SIL asked me to go with her.  I thought it was so sad when some kids couldn't read what was written(because it was a word of a much higher level then they were at) and it was obvious that the parents did most of the work.  What did they learn?  That Mom or Dad will do all projects for me?

I always feel it is better for a kid to do it himself/herself wrong than for an adult to do it.

itextndrive
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

if i let my son do his own project it will look like crap and everyone will kno my kid is a slacker. Mommy loves you sweetheart and i dont want everyone to kno you are my adorable lil slacker...

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

DD's teacher has made it a rule to do projects at school.  She wanted to see what the kids can do, not what the parents can do.  I agree.  We're not doing our kids any favors by doing the work for them.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting itextndrive:

if i let my son do his own project it will look like crap and everyone will kno my kid is a slacker. Mommy loves you sweetheart and i dont want everyone to kno you are my adorable lil slacker...

Seriously?

Maybe if given the chance he would surprise you. Plus, when will he learn that when you slack of you get crappy results? Sounds like slacking is working out great right now. 

Heartlight617
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
I do help my son with projects, at least as far as research goes. Sometimes we look up a person who he is doing a project on, try to catch any movies there are about them (John Smith, for example!), talk alot about their lives, etc. I also help him look up pics, etc.
He has some learning issues and issues with depression/anxiety so I try to assist without doing the project, but to keep him from becoming overwhelmed.
calsmom62
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I haven't seen Down and Derby...will have to look it up. Thanks!!!

Quoting hwifeandmom:

Yah, both my cub scout and girl scout kids' cars / boats always clearly showed that the kids had done the work themselves.  Unfortunately, because parents had helped with the others, my kids felt bad about their vehicles after they'd previously been so proud of their efforts.

I'm so glad to hear that some areas have banned parents from particiapting.  That's how it should be.  Have you ever seen the movie "Down and Derby"?  It's about some dads who get too competitive about the cub scout pinewood derby.  It's kind of cute.

To the original poster, even tho' you have to duct tape your husband's hands, THANK YOU for being a leader who stands up and allows the kids the opportunity to be responsible.  The kids need it, and the parents need it!

Quoting calsmom62:

Sorry. I see it every year at scouts with the pinewood Derby and raingutter regatta. Our kids vehicles are so totally boy built people take pity on them. And other kids look like its a ferrari prototype.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I think your husband needs a trip to the office for a lecture. Or detention.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN